Trumpet Discussion Discuss Sluggish 3rd Valve in the General forums; As you probably guessed, I've got a sluggish 3rd valve. I've cleaned and oiled it but it still seems to ...
    New Friend

Question Sluggish 3rd Valve

As you probably guessed, I've got a sluggish 3rd valve. I've cleaned and oiled it but it still seems to be a few milliseconds behind the others. What are my solutions???

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: Sluggish 3rd Valve

There are many factors to consider. Without seeing the horn or knowing anything about its construction, these are only guesses about things to check:
    (1) When you remove/insert the piston, do you feel any binding or resistance that is greater than the other two?
    (2) If you rotate the piston in the casing, do you feel any dragging?
    (3) If you install the piston completely dry and press it, does it seem better than with oil on it?
    (4) Does the problem become worse after you have played for awhile (moisture in the casing)?
    (5) If you switch pistons 2 & 3, does the problem move with the piston or stay with casing #3?
    (6) Have you tried a light synthetic oil instead of petroleum?
    (7) Have you tried applying some slide grease to the valve guide mechanism and the valve stem where it goes through the valve cap? Sometimes the valve guides or the stem can rub and cause drag.
    (8) When you push the valve guide up and down the stem, does the spring pressure on #3 seem as strong as the others? You may have a weak spring. Sometimes removing and stretching the spring (NOT TOO MUCH!) can increase the pressure slightly.
    (9) If it does seem that the clearance between the piston and the inside of the casing is too tight even when they are dry, try taking a Sharpie pen and "painting" the surface of the piston black. Then insert it into the casing ensuring that the piston is rotated to the correct orientation as you insert it. Tighten the cap and then work the piston. Then remove it. If you see uneven areas where the sharpie ink has been worn off, it may indicate that the casing or the piston is out-of-round. (Wipe off the ink when you are done).
    (10). If none of these seem to work, do what the rest of us snooks do and take it to a professional so it doesn't become worse.

Good luck.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Piano User
    New Hampshire

One possible reason is that the valve came apart and when you put the valve guide back in you put it in upside down (this is common problem with Yamaha student trumpets). So it may be lining up properly but with it upside down, it's riding at an angle in the piston's spring barrel which can slow things down.

Another possible reason is that you have somehow torqued the 3rd valve slide tubes just enough that the casing is ever so slightly out of round. This you should not try to repair yourself as it will be easy to end up with a bigger repair and will cost a lot more money.

If Come-Back Kid's suggestions don't yield any improvement, bring it to a repair shop.

Have you run a dry pull through cloth through the valve and wiped moisture off the vavle before oiling?

New Friend

Hello.My name is Bogdan,I live in Ukraine.I'm sorry,that I'm writing here,but I'd like to ask you what do you think about my playing:
    YouTube - Bogtrumpet's Channel

Your playing sounds great. Why not make your own thread about it?
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Thread Information