Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stumac
  • 2 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Slurring High Notes in the General forums; Recently I gained stability and more control over my high C and am currently working on my high D but ...
    New Friend

Slurring High Notes

Recently I gained stability and more control over my high C and am currently working on my high D but now the problem that I have is that when I slur up to notes like from third space C to top line F I sometimes go all the way up to a B flat above the staff. I use the straight line approach (Charlie Porter) and I can hear the F for a moment as I slur higher and the same back down.

I think that the reason this happens is because I've been used to weaker lips and facial muscles I've associated playing certain notes to a certain level of difficulty for my emboushure (so for example I would think of playing a G on top of the staff as being X level of difficulty for my emboushure) but since my emboushure has been getting a lot stronger, it takes a lot higher of a note to give me the same difficulty level. So instead of a top of the staff G being of X difficulty, a high C is that difficult.

My question is whether or not this is something I can fix using a certain method or way of practice, or whether this will fix itself as I become more accustomed to my new emboushure strength?

Forte User
    Flinders Vic Australia

Re: Slurring High Notes

My suggestion is to practice the slurs softly, there is a certain air pressure (support) and aperture needed to maintain a note sounding, a delicate balance, if you are overblowing that balance for the F, then the next partial will sound, Bb. Certainly as range increases the lower notes seem easier. If you are missing the F on the way down you are relaxing the embouchure/air support too much to maintain the F.

Regards, Stuart.
    Sethoflagos likes this.

Melbourne Australia

Another reason is that you may not be sure where the open partials are up higher.
    The Bb can be played open, so maybe get the Bb in your head as a partial to secure your G. That should help to stop the slip up to the Bb when going for the F.
    Also once you pass that G and Bb, the Bb C D E G are all very close open partials in that higher register on your way to the DHC.

Practice lip slur exercises, and lip trills between the 2 partials. It is easier to get the lips trills working up higher as the partials get closer.
    Practice the Clark Clarke technical studies 2 but an octave up to help develop that register. Soft slurs as Stumac suggested will help with tone and accuracy.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

If our range stops at a specific note, we are simply using too much pressure. When higher note just slips out, we are at the first GOOD beginning. With a moderate to low pressure embouchure, our range doesn't stop, it just starts getting thinner. When we use "force" to stabilize a note, we inhibit progress and perhaps even create yet another habit to break. There are no shortcuts. Building range means giving up range and endurance at least for a little while.
    richtom and -C- like this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information