Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Smokin' brass players! in the General forums; I've seen old videos of Harry James holding a cigarette between his index and middle fingers on his left hand ...
    Ontario, Ca

Re: Smokin' brass players!

I've seen old videos of Harry James holding a cigarette between his index and middle fingers on his left hand and playing his horn. Then, would take a swig of some liquor in the stand next to him. Those old guys were made like tanks back in those days.
    Art C
    1964 H. N. White King Super 20 model 1049S
    1970 King Super 20 S2
    1976 King Silver Flair (Custom engraved)

Old Lyme, Connecticut

Louis and Harry, two of the greatest players of all time were heavy smokers and both lived a long life. When it's your time to go, that's it....smoking or not.
    If you are lazy, forget the trumpet - Claude Gordon

Official website of Bill Knevitt

Smoking has everything to do with the trumpet. You have to see a doctor before you quit.
    Interesting video...

Pianissimo User
    Central Florida

Quote Originally Posted by ultratrumpet View Post
    Louis and Harry, two of the greatest players of all time were heavy smokers and both lived a long life. When it's your time to go, that's it....smoking or not.
    Louis died at 70 and Harry at 67 - not particularly long lives (especially from my perspective at 60 ). I wonder if Doc Cheatham smoked. He made it to 92.

1965 (H.N. White) King Silver Flair,
    1962 Olds Super (Anbrass restoration and Reeves PVA),
    1971 (KMI) King Silver Flair,
    1983 King Flair 2007 AT,
    2008 Kanstul 1502,
    1947 Martin Committee (Anbrass restoration and Reeves PVA),
    2013 Kanstul 990,
    1963 Olds Mendez,
    1975 Yamaha Flugel (YFH 631),
    1955 Buescher Aristocrat 264 Custom Built cornet,
    1989 Burbank Picc (short bell & Blackburn leadpipe),
    Reeves 42C 692s mpc w/sleeves

Ithaca NY

Quote Originally Posted by gmonady View Post
    It should not have to come to that situation were one persons' habits impact on the health of others.
    Oh, come on, Doc! This is America - a FREE country, remember? We have the right to abuse each other, it's in the constatooshun.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Were it not for Sir Walter Raleigh and tobacco, the USA would not have had the financial wherewithal to become an independent nation. Even today as we socially and medically condemn tobacco and drive tobacco growers and their producers out of business, we're cutting our own financial face with the loss of tax revenues putting such a burden on other product pricing and means to replace ... and not very successfully so it seems.

Whether we like it or not, tobacco was put here on earth for environmental balance. Did you ever ponder how much nicotine was in the potato on your plate. Well, it is a common practice in agriculture to spray the potato plant with sprays that contain a concentration of nicotine to control the potato bug. Too, you'll find such in an analysis of many sprays to control the grubs in your lawn.

As far back as statistics allow, how many people have had their death certificates read that tobacco usage or tobacco smoke was the primary cause of their death and yet the medical profession touts that tobacco is a killer of humans. Sorry, but I don't know of any accepted medical procedure that can determine the nicotine level in a human, living or dead.

Personally, I was ... until just a few years ago ... a heavy cigarette smoker ( a pack plus daily ) having started when I was just 11 years old, and now I'm 76 and my wife still smokes and is 66 and radiology of her lungs just a month ago show no evidence of her habit.

If I were a worry wart, I'd worry more about carbon monoxide emitted from a faulty kerosene heater as killed both my paternal grandparents ... and so reads their death certificates. Not many a day goes by now, that I don't see the local impoverished walk to the gas station to fill up their jug of kerosene and it gives me the shudders of my grandparents memory. Yep, CO has also contributed to many suicides/murders, just as recently I read of yet another on internet. Yep, its the same stuff coming out the exhaust pipes of the "zillion" vehicles worldwide and now touted as the cause of global warming.

The stench of decaying fish was unbearable, but the fisherman lay only recently dead in his cabin bunk bed when found. He had bought dry ice to preserve the fish and food in three large coolers. I don't remember the chemical valence, but I do know that as dry ice dissipates it combines/usurps oxygen, but the medical examiner only wrote "natural causes" which many do when there is no indication of a criminal homicide.
    chenzo and ultratrumpet like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information