Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss So how did you get into playing trumpet? in the General forums; My dad was a pro reed player and had a combo (day job also) Started on clarinet in 7th grade, ...
    Kalamazoo, Michigan

Re: So how did you get into playing trumpet?

My dad was a pro reed player and had a combo (day job also) Started on clarinet in 7th grade, quickly found not my personality , nor had finger dexterity for it or playing good piano. Switched to cornet (dad bought a committee model)sadly gone! Played in MSU bands, VFW Band, etc. Switched to Selmer Kmodified in 60, etc. Play in fine Kalamazoo Concert Band (36yrs), Cabtown Checkers swing band, church, etc. Also am a choir singer of long duration.
    Bach strad,84, Besson 8-10 cornet and trumpet, vintage Gretsch trumpet

Geleen, The Netherlands

At the age of 9 my father asked me whether I would apreciate to get a trumpet from St. Nicolaus. The night before the event, I heard my father playing an instrument and it was clear to me what my present would be.
    It appeared to be a cornet, somewhat dissapointing , trumpet apeared much cooler to me .

Later that year we visited a concert of the local Fanfare in our Park and I decided to join the band and take lessens.

Because the main instrument for the Dutch Fanfare is the Flugelhorn, the most vacancies are for this instrument, so I started on Flugelhorn.

At the age of 16 I was asked to help out a dixieland youth band, because their trumpet player was ill. Since this was total new for me I had to play all music strait from sheet . A traumatic experience.

At 47 years old, I still play the cornet and flugelhorn in dixieland jazz music.

Kalamazoo, Michigan

I grew up in a musical household. My dad was a professional reed player, including Vaudeville and big bands. After getting a steady day job at Oldsmobile and WWII service in the Stars and Gripes entertainment show, he played in, or had his own combo until near his death in 84.
    I started youth choir at church at 6 in 48, piano about the same time. Elementary school only had introduction to violin in those days.
    In 7th grade I started on Clarinet, as my dad played one. After a year or so, I found out I didn't have the dexterity or personality for the instrument. A good friend, Jim Kot , forums member played trumpet very well even then. I don't recall the details now, but my dad got me a Martin Committee cornet and I went thru high school and college in concert, marching, pep, dixieland, etc. groups. I was
    fortunate to be able to play in good concert bands ever since, both in Lansing and Kalamazoo and play in the MSU Alumni Bands for many years, suitable to my eternally limited abilities.

Inspirational credit also goes to Maynard, Don Ellis, Bill Chase, Doc,
    Louis and many others.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Friend

I started off with piano lessons in the third grade and began trumpet in the 7th grade, which is the earliest that the school system introduced music to us. The trumpet just sounded cooler than the other instrument's, though truth be told, I really wanted to play percussion but was told that I didn't have the required coordination.

Pianissimo User

At the age of 8,I was quietly sitting in my Primary 2 classrom in aallneighbourhood school.
    Suddenly,a couple of boys knocked on the door and asked my teache permission to ask something.
    They asked,"who lwould like to join the school band."
    Having no idea at all what a band was,I blindly followed my friend and raised up my hand.
    My wonderful and exciting journey began.

Cincinnati, OH

My main influence was my older brother who decided to join the high School marching band. He played sax, but 3 years later when I decided I'd like to follow in his footsteps, I chose trumpet.
    Based mainly on the fact that I knew some of his friends in the trumpet section, didn't want to be in his shadow in sax land, really enjoyed Doc's playing on the Tonight Show, Louis Armstrong, and Herb Alpert also influeced my decision.

1st 3 years of high school struggled with braces smearing beeswax over them before playing. Just prior to senior year braces came off, and trumpet playing was actually fun. My band director actually stopped a rehearsal in the middle of a song to complement me on my improvement.

Combined with the braces coming off, our school had switched to a different trumpet teacher. Dick Brown was just what I needed. He is the stereotypical cool jazz cat with the deep gravely voiced "yeah man, I can dig that" lingo. He mad lessons fun and challenging. He'd do things like pull up the chart for some broadway show he'd been hired to play and say something like. "I got this show coming up and I need you to show me how to play this stuff". Then in the middle of a song, he'd say "that one's too easy" and find something harder to "torture" me with. He'd also laugh in the middle of something you'd play and he'd say "man you laid that down like Joey "elbows" Mahoney (only he'd use real Jazz musicians name I'd never heard of).

I'd also get assignement for the next week where I'd be given the name of a popular tune and the key I needed to know it in for the next week.

I didn't play anywhere other than my own home for about 10 years, until a friend called saying they needed trumpet players in their community band. Been playing there since 1993 and continue to challenge myself to find time to improve.
    Greg Glassmeyer

Kansas City

Al Hirt!

Bath, UK

My mum and dad started me on the violin at age 5. All I remember was that I hurled it across the room and broke it when I was 6. They were adamant (being prof. musicians) that I was to play an instrument, and asked what I wanted to play. The picture of a shiny brass trumpet filled my head and so I said "trumpet". I was actually started on a La Fleur cornet, because I was too small to lift the trumpet, but at age 10 I graduated to the trumpet! Never actually did own a brass trumpet though. All been silver. Go figure.
    1992 Bach Strad Large Bore 25 Silver
    1976 LA Benge 5x Silver
    1920s?? Langen?? Rotary Bb Raw brass
    1977 Olds Super Star Flugelhorn Raw brass
    1985 Mario Corso Piccolo Trumpet A/Bb, 4 bells
    2008 Kuhnl & Hoyer Tenor Trombone

Kanstul M-B4
    Kanstul M-B4LD
    Christian Lindberg 10C

Clarksville, Tennessee, U

My parents listened to jazz at home. I thought Hubert Laws was the coolest thing since sliced bread. So I wanted to play flute. Dad said, "flutes are for girls. Here's a trumpet".
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Pianissimo User

My uncle played in local bands. At age 9 he gave me a trumpet and said it is time for me to teach you. I have been playing ever since. That was 65 years ago.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information