Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Soda in the General forums; Coka-Cola contains Phosphoric acid. Try not to get it into your horn. I used to drink sprite to keep from ...

Re: Soda

Coka-Cola contains Phosphoric acid. Try not to get it into your horn.

I used to drink sprite to keep from drying out. I used water with lemon juice. Now I use water.

Try to stay away from salt and phosphoric acid.

Whiskey won't hurt anything.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

New Friend

I like to drink water. It keeps me hydrated and my lips somewhat moist. However, this might have been a rare occurance but I once drank soda maybe a half hour before I practiced and my chops felt great! Anyone else experience this or was it just that rare occurance?

dubuque iowa

Just because you ask the question, I think you suspect the answer is common sense. Your instrument will like you better if you keep to a minimum the foreign substances you blow into it. If your trumpet is happy, it will do its best to make you happy. I always try to keep as clean of a mouth as possible out of respect for my date. You wouldnt kiss the love of your life with a mouthfull of beer and garlic and your trumpet and you are as intimate as you can get. Be respectful for the privilege of playing the greatest instrument ever concieved. Best wishes.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Piano User
    Gilroy, California

I 2nd the idea about phosphoric acid, SOME of that stuff is gonna find its way down your horn. Bad, bad, bad. I'd quit soda completely. Your body and your wallet will thank you.

I've been in the habit of drinking seltzer in the past, Gerolsteiner, and it's nice, you do feel like you're having a treat. I'd not drink beer and play, beer doesn't have phosphoric acid but it has some odd sugars in it and junk. Whiskey probably IS OK, since it doesn't have added sugar. (I've spilled a little bit of whiskey and noticed it evaporates with NO trace) Jager is full of sugar, folks! Frankly, if I'd not pour it down my horn, I'd not drink it while playing my horn.

I used to work as an electronics repair tech and the circuit boards with soda etc spilled on them were very educational to say the least. Soda, orange juice, even sugary coffee, would eat the metal traces away. We'd get in other units that had been in floods, fresh water + silt, and it was hilarious, the unit would power up and work fine, just a clean-up needed.
    About 40 lbs of trumpet books for sale. Arban's, Colin, Gordon, all the good stuff. Ask me.

Forte User
    Flinders Vic Australia

Most carbonated drinks have a pH around 2, so an unsweetened one should be fine for cleaning the horn.

Anyone care for a strawberry flavoured trumpet?

Regards, Stuart

Smile Re: Soda

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    Hi, I have a question, How bad is soda for your horn, I mean drinking Soda and then playing, cause I had one teacher tell me this was a BIG nono, then still some others were like, It's no big deal, so just wondering

It depends on how often you clean your horn. If you don't do it often, you could think of it as a cheap chem clean as it "eats" away at all the blue-green crud built up in your horn. In high school, band was right after lunch and my director never said anything about brushing, gargling, swishing, etc. . Of course he was/is a trombone player and we know they never clean anything ! I still play My high school horn and it hasn't rotted away. Use common sense and periodically clean your horn and thank God you don't have to clean a tuba!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    Hi, I have a question, How bad is soda for your horn, I mean drinking Soda and then playing...

I guess part of the question is how much time goes by between drinking soda and playing.

If you have a few big glasses of Pepsi at lunch and then 30 minutes later you're playing your horn, then I agree with Rowuk that your body bears the brunt of the soda.

If you're sipping soda while you play, then I agree with your teacher. You're essentially putting the soda directly into your horn, and likely not rinsing it out, so over time common sense tells me it's not a good idea. Same with eating while you play. Not a good idea.

With that said:

- I once played a church job where the 2nd trumpet player showed up with a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich that he consumed DURING our rehearsal. He played very well and the horn didn't seem to have any issues.

- I marched in a drum corps for about 10 years and witnessed people drinking beer, soda, gatorade, etc, while playing their horns during long rehearsals. During that time I never saw/heard of any cases of rot or instrument damage as a result (and I highly doubt that any of the instruments were ever cleaned).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information