Trumpet Discussion Discuss Some of my favorites in the General forums; Over at Manny's place they were speaking about Bud. The discussion of Hindemith triggered memories of my first hearing of ...
    Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

Some of my favorites

Over at Manny's place they were speaking about Bud. The discussion of Hindemith triggered memories of my first hearing of the work. It was in the 50s, Sam Krauss was the Principal Trumpet at that performance. Sam could play inhumanly piano. The Academy of Music was a great hall until they fixed it I can never forget those piano moments in the Hindemith.

For me, Gil Johnson's playing on the Mahler "Blumine" is about the most beautiful lyric playing by a trumpet. I know, I is only MY opinion

Vacchiano owns Copland and just about most of the music written by American composers

Harry Glantz is in a category all his own.......and all on Bb

Voisin is also a giant. The complete Daphnis that he recorded with the BSO sparkles.
    .............And that's only a beginning of my favorites.

Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

I hope you don’t take offense when I refer to the gentleman you speak of as “old school”… or maybe I should just say the “older school” … at any rate…

You made an excellent point when you mentioned that much of the playing was “all on Bb”…

Don’t get me wrong… if playing a passage on a higher instrument makes my life easier, I’m all for it…

But lately I’ve really come to appreciate the fact that these guys (and I’m sure you too) played the Bb trumpet on almost all the orchestral literature.

Now of course, some of these folks were so gifted that playing on a Bb, C, X, Y or Z would not make a difference… but it takes playing a few tough excerpts on the Bb to really appreciate the command these guys had of the Bb horn.

I was reading an interview on the most recent ITG journal … Kadarebek interviewing David Zauder… many comments there about him only playing the Bb at Cleveland.

My first teacher, Gilbert Mitchell also recalls his many years in orchestras only playing the Bb.

Thanks for mentioning it. It deserves some attention.

Utimate User

Re: Some of my favorites

Quote Originally Posted by wiseone2
    Voisin is also a giant. Wilmer
    Have you heard that Ravel G major Concerto with him and Boston? Amazing! That opening is like hearing a Chinese New Year celebration... firecrackers going off in rapid succession!

Thread Information