Trumpet Discussion Discuss Some questions about transposing in the General forums; I would like to find some music that all three of my kids can perform together for their grandparents at ...
    New Friend

Some questions about transposing

I would like to find some music that all three of my kids can perform together for their grandparents at Thanksgiving and Christmas. After looking through the music store, I think that some of it I am going to have to come up with on my own. After searching old threads here and doing some intensive theory review last night, I think I was successful in transposing a version of the doxology from piano to trumpet last night.

However, what happens when you transpose and you don't like the outcome? I think it now might be too high and have too many notes that my son does not know. Granted, he will likely learn them quickly as he has every other time he has attempted a new not, but I don't want to push him with a song that is too high.

I am planning to pick up a hymnal at the used book store today and use the doxology from that. The online option I found last night didn't have a single chord in it but it was perfect for me to practice transposing with.

I am trying to work out parts for a trumpet, piano and violin. The kids seem to really love it when they play together. We bought the suzuki piano accompaniment book that my oldest can play while the middle child plays the violin. But finding something for all three is providing to be a challenge.

Keep in mind I have minimal musical training, just some basic piano as a child and the theory that went along with it. However, as a home schooling family, we strive to model for our children that you are never to old to learn something new. I am completely willing to work on learning more complicated musical theory if I need to in order to keep their musical training fun and something that they can at times do together.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Some questions about transposing

If the trumpet part is too high you'll have to transpose everything.

If you wish to add a descant, the cheap/dirty and easy way is to take the alto part up an octave.

You might consider getting some music notation software. There is some nifty music to be found online in midi format--import that into your progam and (to quote Champ) POW!!!, you can transpose at the click of a button. Fun stuff!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New Friend

Thank you! That was the conclusion I had come to last night, but wasn't certain. Do you have a specific recommendation on music notation software? Bonus points for a recommendation that works on a mac.

I just remembered my other questions:

1. The piece that I transposed was in the key of G major. Once the piece was transposed, it was in D, is this correct? Assuming this is correct, are their common (or maybe better said, best) keys for trumpet to play in? So far in my son's beginner books, everything has been flats, so I just wasn't sure if all the sharps were correct.

2. Is there a good theory reference book? My oldest just switched to the Theory Time series and I actually worked through several of the exercises in there last night. However, it would have been very helpful to have a reference book to refer to on some of the questions that I had, as the explanations were minimal and I didn't have an answer key. I think her piano teacher will be very happy that I am working to remember/learn my theory that never really clicked before so that I can help the kids better during the week!
    Last edited by samsplace; 10-16-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typos

Rhode Island

I use Finale, which comes in a spectrum of price points. See Our Finale Notation Family for more information.
    Richard Ashmore

Pianissimo User
    Perth, Western Australia

I use MuseScore which is free. It does crash a bit if you don't follow the instructions exactly but is easy to use.

Thread Information