Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Son's first Band Camp A pretty bad experience in the General forums; Hi guys, I just need to have a bit of a vent and get some suggestions. My eight-year-old son went ...

Son's first Band Camp A pretty bad experience

Hi guys,

I just need to have a bit of a vent and get some suggestions. My eight-year-old son went to his first school band camp on Monday. He plays trombone. The two-day camp is a ridiculous $300 (twice the price of other school's band camps) which means many folks can't afford for their kids to go. It is an ongoing issue that many parent's and the band director are hoping can be resolved soon. The band committee don't have a problem with it, so nothing changes despite a lot of complaints every year from parents and the band director (I think I'll join the committee next time a position becomes available).

Anyway, trombone lessons, band costs, piano lessons (for my son and daughter), swimming lessons (for my son and daughter), cricket and soccer; not to mention a new trombone earlier this year, meant that $300 was not going to work for us either. But because my son has a heart of gold, practices well, plays well and is a very well-behaved little guy who is very helpful at band and shows promise, the band director was very keen for him to attend for just one of the days, something she said she wouldn't offer to any of the other kids and something my wife and I jumped at, very much wanting our son to go to the camp.

All Monday I kept thinking about the fun he must be having at his first music camp but when I got home I found out that he had spent a good deal of his break time locked in the bathroom crying his eyes out. Kids being kids, a group of boys decided to pick on him because he could only attend one day of the camp. My heart's breaking at the moment because his certainly is. He was crushed. What should have been a great day ended up being a negative experience for him.

Thankfully, he really enjoyed the intensity of the playing, working in a small group of fellow 'bone players and having serious study with the trombone tutor. So all is not lost. Thankfully one of the kids saw it from the 'glass half full' perspective I wish the others did and said how great it was that my son could at least go for one day, which was better than not going at all.

I really want to do something positive for my boy and was thinking of getting him a CD of trombone music. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could get? Jazz or classical, either is fine. Just some good music that will put a smile on his face.

Sorry to be a downer, and sorry for the lengthy post. And thanks in advance for your help.
    Matt.
    Yamaha YTR 6335
    Martin Magna 1959

Re: Son's first Band Camp A pretty bad experience

I am so sorry to hear about the kids picking on your son! Maybe they felt jealous that your son was offered something like that. I don't know, so I won't comment more on that.

I don't know my trombone literature, but here is a youtube clip that will melt your son's face off and give him a lot of inspiration (hopefully!)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqRtNCtJ9k]YouTube - US Army Brass Quintet - Flight of the Bumble Bee - Harry Watters, trombone[/ame]
    Bach Strad. 37
    Early Chicago C Model Monette

Piano User

So far as pricing for band camps... out of curiosity I looked up a band camp that I attended as a young kid to see what their current prices were. It was $200 for a day camper or $495 for resident camper which at a university you slept in the dorms and ate crappy dorm food, but I remember (for the most part) having a great time.

Kids can be immature and usually are so unfortunate your son had a bad experience. I had a case where a high school kid tried to act tough around a lowly junior high (middle school) kid, namely me, but I shrugged it off but was rather annoyed by it.

So far as trombones... this is really a forum more for / around trumpets, but you could always check out amazon.com or just plain google to get additional ideas. I thought it was pretty cool when I did my own search that I came across a cd of "Royal Philharmonic plays the best of Queen" but not a pure trombone there. Checking out YouTube I saw some cool trombone stuff done by Nils Landgren. You might also check out Jimmy Cleveland.

I believe one of the most respected current trombone performer is Joseph Allesi. His page of recordings is choke full of great recordings with various genres.
    Bach Strad. 37

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Matt View Post
    I really want to do something positive for my boy and was thinking of getting him a CD of trombone music. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could get? Jazz or classical, either is fine. Just some good music that will put a smile on his face.
    "Absolute Trombone," by Michael Davis.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Sorry to hear that band camp was such a disappointment for your son.

I would suggest that you and your son check out Mnozil Brass videos on YouTube. Unbelievable musicians and entertainers.

Keep playing!

K
    1937 Bach New York Bb L 25
    1945 Bach New York Bb ML 37
    1962 Bach Mt. Vernon Bb ML 37*
    1985 Bach Vindabona Bb MLV 72
    1991 Bach Anniversary Edition CL 229G
    2004 Bach 72*/43 Bb ML
    1946 Martin Committee M Bb
    1949 Olds Super Bb
    1962 Olds Recording Bb ML
    1946 Conn Coprion 12B Bb
    1962 Reynolds Contempra Cornet
    1964 Bach Mt. Vernon 165 Flugel
    Getzen Super Deluxe Bb
    2011 Bach Artisan Piccolo
    Van Laar Model 2 Flugel
    Yamaha 631 Flugel
    One very understanding husband.

There is a trombone forum (The Trombone Forum - Index)
    I'm sure if you wander around there (or join and ask) they'll have a perfect response.
    From the twisted worldview of a trombonist of course
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

Quote Originally Posted by Equiner View Post
    I would suggest that you and your son check out Mnozil Brass videos on YouTube. Unbelievable musicians and entertainers.
    This would be seconded!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5bfkhyGfQI]YouTube - Mnozil Brass - Hungarian Schnapsodie[/ame]
    Bach Strad. 37

You guys rock. Thanks heaps for your thoughts and suggestions.
    Yamaha YTR 6335
    Martin Magna 1959

Matt - see your PMs
    Ted

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast