Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Sound Effects Processor in the General forums; I could not find any mention of my topic under equipment, and may be crossing the line here. I play ...
    New Friend

Sound Effects Processor

I could not find any mention of my topic under equipment, and may be crossing the line here. I play trumpet in a reggae band, and am adding effects to my parts. I'm trying to find fellow horn players who use on-stage sound effects, to find out what they're using, and what's best for my needs. Vocal processor vs guitar processor, pre-amp settings, etc. Hopefully, there won't be too many disgusted players who think it's a disgrace to use some extra electronic tools with the trumpet. I'm creating my own presets, customized for specific songs, and want a floor model processor that lets me select with extreme ease, my different presets, I like the tap tempo feature to make sure my delay rates equal our chosen nightly tempo, and the expression pedal to control my bleed into vocal parts. Does anyone have any information on this topic, or know where to steer me...? Thanks all....!

Re: Sound Effects Processor

I will venture into the dark side and tell you what I know..
    I will assume you have a pretty good microphone..
    Native Instruements has some very cool and free "stuff" ..
    Guitar Rig is a free down load ...you will love this program
    if you like it they have a foot control pedal with some pretty advanced features..
    also
    Anteras has some neat programs.. auto tune.. mike modeling.. harmonizing .. very reasonable ( and they have a stand alone box unit as well )
    and
    if you have too much time on your hands and want to get waaaaayy you tthere ..Native Instruements Reactor .. build your own effects patches ...
    here's the link to there free program download page ... these professional effects used by everyone (who uses effects )

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS

If you need stand alone effects (ie a pedal) I would look into Line 6 products .. they range from $50 up .. very good and reliable
    !
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

New Friend

I hadn't thought in the computer direction yet.... very intriguing, but does it mean I have to subject my laptop to our wild gigs and travel...? I'll look into the Antares stand alone.

And yes,... I am using a Shure SM57 microphone which goes directly into my current set-up, then to the board. I was initially attracted to a Line 6 guitar processor, but then I'm told I'd need a Direct Input box, or a pre-amp for reasons above my level of knowledge. So then I started looking at Vocal Processors that have built-in pre-amps, and start to question if I'm even going in the right direction. From the research I've done, it seems like there are no real set rules or "right way" for a trumpet player to get this done.

I am currently using an Effects Processor designed for Bass, which is designed for low frequencies, and it being a Digitech BP200, the "on the fly" navigation between presets is very sloppy and inaccurate, so I need what is right for the trumpet frequency, and a device that allows for precise and simple foot navigation between presets, (w/ expression pedal, tap tempo, looper would be cool to mess with). Right now, I'm looking at a TC Helicon Voice Processor (VoiceLive 2 - $800), and the Line 6 (Pod HD300 - $329, + DI Box, or Pre-Amp).

TC-Helicon | VoiceLive 2 - Ultimate Vocal Harmony & Effects Pedal
    PODHD | Line 6

I guess my real question is... am I going about this all wrong...?

Thanks, I appreciate your help...!

I'm not sure about applying effects processors to trumpet, but as a guitar player, I highly recommend the Line 6 pods. I have one of their pocket pods, that comes with a wide varity of presets (over 300) and acts as a practice module for using with headphones.

The Line 6 products for electric guitars may also work really well for trumpet (through a mic). I don't see why they wouldn't. The pocket pod is around $120. You might find some help discussing products with guys at a big store like Guitar Center (if there's one near you).

Turtle
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy
    2011 Carol Brass 658 RT trumpet
    1924 CONN Tenor Sax

A decent direct box is a nice thing to have IMO, but I think that the guys suggesting digital guitar effects modelers are going in the right direction. Might I suggest the Digitech RP 90?

Buy DigiTech RP90 Guitar Multi Effects Pedal | Floor Guitar Effects | Musician's Friend

It's got a ton of effects, a built-in tuner, and it even has a Wah effect that you might be able to put to good use. I've got the older version of it that I picked up cheap used for my son with his guitar efforts (I think it's the RP80 model) and it has a ton of capability with the ability to do a bunch of presets if you want. We don't use it much but not because of a sound thing - rather, we are sticking with just a few stomp boxes to keep things simple. At some point he might start messing with it again.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

all of these are great suggestions... all a direct box really does is change your high impedance input ( sm57) to low impedance ... not a big deal. You can buy an inline unit for $25.
    Digitech makes great stuff ..Line6.. Amteres..
    I understand your concern about lugging your laptop around ... which needs an audio to USB conversion ( and you really need to buy a good one or you will have latency, a delay) .. I forgot about that and it is a big deal.
    You can find so much used stuff cheap now that so many are going with the computer based modules.
    You tube has alot of demos to check these out.
    !

New Friend

I have been playing the flugel horn and valve trombone thorugh the Line6 HD300 for about 2 months. You can download a Line6 Edit program and tinker with the sound quite a bit. However, I have never been able to get the same quality of tone as straight through the PA system with standard reverb. I love the reverb, delay, foot volume control, tuner, chorus, recording, and wah wah effects but have not gotten the tone sounding as good as straight through the PA system with no sound processor. The flugel horn / trombone sound is modified just slightly to sound like its coming out of a tin can. Quite frustrating. The advanced programming options for the Line 6 do not appear to have an 8 band equalizer or something similar to see if my sound problem is due to frequency range / need for equalization. It may be that the Line 6 HD300 is made for guitar and will never be suitable for brass sound effects. If anyone else out there is experimenting with brass sound effects processors, Help!

I am guessing that it is setup with a low and high pass filter... meaning you are starting out cutting out all the lows and highs leaving you with a tin can or old time radio sound. If you can edit the sound I would look for those two settings and turn them off. It's really hard to bring back the full sound once it has filtered out. They probably do this this because the guitar has six different strings each giving off it's own set of over tones and making it very muddy.
    !

New Friend

It seems that the frequency distribution / range of trumpet and trombone is more akin to voice than to guitar. So, my intuition tells me that a vocal sound processor, like the TC-Helicon Voice Live 2, might be better than a Line6 guitar processor. Just a hunch.

New Friend

Yeah... I guess we're on the same page Backwater.... On my bass processor, when I get hooked into the PA instead of my practice amp, I've been complaining of a "tinny" sound. I do have an EQ built in to this unit, and I got a better sound just the other day, by decreasing both treble and mid. I'm really glad you said something about the Line6 HD300, because I will now really investigate more on that VoiceLive 2 from TC Helicon. I see them on ebay around $550, or direct from TC Helicon at $800, but I can barely pay rent right now. I wrote a letter to TC Helicon, asking about trumpet players using the unit, and they said they have a lot of them. I will see if I can contact a player through them, to get their feedback. The feedback in this thread has been very helpful, I'm learning a lot in this endeavor. Perhaps I'll start a new thread here titled:

"Any trumpet players using VoiceLive 2 from TC Helicon..?",

...to see if it gets any attention. Thanks again...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information