Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Southern Universities in the General forums; Originally Posted by Double_G On the education side, high school band. I probably won't be good enough for college and ...
    Georgia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Double_G
    On the education side, high school band. I probably won't be good enough for college and I wouldn't have patience for anyone much younger. Love kids, but there comes a point when that love becomes annoyance.

In performance, I would like to join a stage band or something. I thought about going into the army on music and join one of there million and a half regimental stage bands. That's why I AM going to get my minor in jazz performance.

Are you studying privately now, with a top teacher to get you prepared for what is to come? I suspect you may not be for, if you were, you'd be more zero'ed in on what to expect and what you might like to do with your degree.

This is advice more than warning . . . but you really need to get on the ball and begin studying with a great teacher who can PREPARE you for your college audition(S) next year. Believe me, the competition is very intense for the full scholarships at the major schools and lots of potential auditioners are mastering the tone, approach, and stylistic interpretation of the key audition material.

If you are a decent player don't sweat it . . . you can get IN to the trumpet studios at most colleges of music but there are quite a few players who'll be heads over heels better than most others due to their refinement that came from studying with a top teacher for at least a year or two.

That teacher can also give you lots of guidance as to where to audition and what you have to do! It will be money well spent when you get that "full ride!"

Good preparation . . . and good luck!

Tom Turner

Pianissimo User
    This is a little far from you, but check out Wiff Rudd at Baylor Universtiy in Waco, Texas.

Really, one of the best people I can think of for a freshman.

charlotte nc
    Another choice might be Appalachian State...over in NC mountains. They've always had a nice program... here's a link to the trumpet East Tennessee guy..! Right up your alley!

Good luck....follow advice above. Get to practicing!

New Friend
    Athens, GA
    I'll put some plugs in for Allan Cox at Vanderbilt University, and Fred Mills and Edward Sandor at University of Georgia.

Both schools have excellent opportunities for performance and education.

p.s. And if we're talking about marching bands, don't forget UGA! Go dawgs.

New Friend
    Augusta, GA
    If you dont want a larger school like the Div 1 universities, Georgia Southern University has a good program, they have 14 trumpet majors this year, not sure how many are graduating but there expecting a few more next year (including me), They have a 100% music ed placement. The trumpet professor is Dr. Schmid. He is really good from what i hear.

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Nazareth, PA
    I've actually had the opportunity to have Mr. Rudd judge me on a solo. Very knowledgeable, very nice. Can't say I like Baylor all that much. WAAAY overpriced, and the music program at Texas or UNT would be just as good or better, and much cheaper.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Double G-
    Great question to ask!
    As a former member of the US Navy Band, Blues Band road hound, jazz artist, and now a college student in my early 30's. I have many things to say about your question.
    1. I wouldn't worry too much in your junior year about whether or not you are going to go performance or education. Let that rest until later in your senior year. Talk with your band director and ask him/her to show you what it's really like to be a teacher. Get as much "behind the scenes" knowledge of the job as you can BEFORE you go to school. You will know what to choose when the time is right...
    2. Think long and hard about what you want in a program...much like Pat Harbison said in his reply to your post. Are you a great theory student? are you more performance oriented? You will and should learn your theory anyway, but some schools emphasize this more than others. Although requirements are similar across the country.
    3. What type of trumpet teacher do you want? Tom Tuner's advice about getting a teacher now is VERY IMPORTANT! The reasons are obvious so I won't belabor them any more than has already been done. If you want a well rounded teacher then look for a school that has both a jazz and classical teacher. If you want to be a lead player then choose a school with a teacher that can "do" that, not just tell you a theory about how to do it.
    4. School is expensive, but it's real expensive if you go somewhere you end up hating and transfer later... this will take longer too... I know from personal experience! Choose wisely the first time... so spend a lot of time thinking about it.
    5. Visit all schools you are considering on a weekday. Take the guided tour and then head off the beaten path and try to get a feel for what you see happening. Are the practice rooms full? Are people spending more time hanging out than getting down to the business of learning music? How do the ensembles sound? Are they playing music that will challenge you beyond that first two years of college, or are they playing fairly easy stuff that will become boring over time? Do the ensemble directors vary thier rep? believe it or not... some directors perform a limited list of pieces and sort of "live" on those tunes.
    6. Make sure that you talk to students about what school is like. Is it hard to register for classes? are the classes you want open most of the time? Is the school prompt in getting you your financial aid refund check? ( that one will get important as the years go by ) Is there a lot of red tape? Some larger schools are great when it comes to paper work.. others are horrible, and the same holds true for small schools.

Those are just a few of the many questions you should kick around when thinking about school. There are many many more! BUT they should never intimidate...just take it one step at a time and enjoy the process. Do your best in school because sometimes your GPA is the difference in scholarship money... even talent scholarship money believe it or not. There IS algebra in the real world... I know.. that sucks!

If you have any questions just keep asking. If you would like to see the track I have taken through a professional and now professional/student life, check out my bio on my website There are many good ways to make a life in music and there are a ton of great people on this site so ask them all... and check out what they have done in thier lives.
    Best wishes...
    By the way I am at Univeristy of Louisville with Mike Tunell... Pat was right about him... he is one of the most supportive and competent teachers I have ever studied with. He got me re-interested in classical playing after a long hiatus, which has enriched my jazz playing and writing.
    Matt Lawson

Mezzo Piano User
    Bloomington, Indiana

Great post! Thanks.

New Friend
    Greater Orlando Area, FL
    Check out University of South Florida in Tampa.
    Jay Coble is the trumpet professor. The studio is a decent size. If you are looking to minor in jazz studies, Jack Wilkins and Chuck Owen are top notch!
    Someday I will think of something awe-inspiring to write here. Until that day comes, thank you for reading and, as always, enjoy your endeavors.

Piano User
    If I were going to study trumpet in the south, I would try to go to Centre College in Danville, Kentucky to study with Mr. Vincent DiMartino. He is a monster player in all styles, and a magnificent teacher. Also a really nice individual!!!

Roy Griffin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information