Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Stability, reliability and consistency in the General forums; I dunno -- I am an incredibly consistent bowler, and break 100 just about every time I bowl......
    Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    I dunno -- I am an incredibly consistent bowler, and break 100 just about every time I bowl...
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

I find that the major difference between professionals and the rest of us is timing (many of us have great tone and range.....).
    The pros can go with the flow because they not only have the pitch in their heads, but also the inner timing to play the notes exactly where they belong. Many of the rest of us get close (enough). When does a good jazz band really swing - when the timing is right. The same goes for orchestral playing.
    How often in a rehearsal has the conductor dealt with timing issues (don't rush-or drag, think of the dot on a dotted quarter as a rest...........)
    My students get a lot of security by practicing with a metronome until they can play in time (and then continually reinforcing that). Once the timing is "perfect", one is a lot closer to getting it right on stage. Many cracked noted are a direct result of not being rythmically secure yourself - or being sabotaged by a stray wandering clarinet section.........
    Don't get me wrong, playing musically is not a math test - getting the stable sense of time is the basis AFTER which we can exercise musical expression in the proper context.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information