Trumpet Discussion Discuss Stange Valve-Sticking Issue in the General forums; Hi all, I am new to the forum and I should mention that I am a complete beginner. I got ...
    New Friend

Stange Valve-Sticking Issue

Hi all,
    I am new to the forum and I should mention that I am a complete beginner. I got a vintage Cleveland horn as a gift about a month ago and have been working on it ever since. However, I have one VERY annoying problem. Whenver I play with a note with the 1st and 3rd valves depressed simultaneously, the 3rd valve sticks (or rather, comes up slowly) when I pull of my fingers. The strange thing is, this is only a problem when both valvles are pressed. If i press the 3rd valve by itself it works perfectly, even when pressed at pretty extreme angles.
    I have cleaned the instrument and valves. I oil it regularly, but i don't think it has been over-oiled. The valve and casing look fine (no dents, scratches, etc.). The problem valve is a little tighter in the casing than the other two, but like I said it works fine on its own.
    All I can think of is that there is some sort of suction being created in the horn that is slowing the valve down. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If anyone can offer any advice it would be very much appreciated. As i said, I'm just starting out and I sound bad enough as it is! Thanks in advance,

Re: Stange Valve-Sticking Issue

My best advice would be to take it to a tech. Because it is only sticking in one situation, it needs to be properly diagnosed in person.

Are you using the 3rd valve slide to tune when you use the 1,3 combination? It could be a 3rd valve slide alignment issue if that's the case.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

South Salem, NY

Re: Stange Valve-Sticking Issue

It is very likely that you are not pushing the 3rd valve down straight when you are using the combination of 1 and 3. This is a very common issue with new players who have not yet developed the necessary dexterity of the 3rd finger (which has one less tendon than the other 2). I suggest you make sure that your pinky is not locked into the pinky hook (the pinky shares a tendon with your 3rd finger) and ask your teacher to look at your finger action.

For what it is worth, I have heard that a hospital in Massachusetts in the late 19th century performed a lot of operations on pianist's hands to help separate the 3rd and pinky.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

Thread Information