Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Starting To Lose Hope! in the General forums; " Do Not Be Impatient! " - Claude Gordon, Daily Trumpet Routines, Lesson 4 page 7 I'm a beginner as ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Starting To Lose Hope!

"Do Not Be Impatient!" - Claude Gordon, Daily Trumpet Routines, Lesson 4 page 7

I'm a beginner as well. Broken notes are par for the course starting out. Not only do we have to have the right embouchure but have to develop the chops to hold it. That takes time. Be patient in your practice and I'm sure you will be rewarded.

dubuque iowa

Well there you go Roberto, enough encouragement and advice to last a lifetime. Playing trumpet is a lifetime endevor so keep on keeping on. Be encouraged to know that at a certain point in the not to distant future your skills will be developed enough to start having fun with it. When you can actually make music it gets easier to be motivated. Be sure to keep your eyes and ears open for ensambles to join, this is the fruits of your labors. With your lessons and some performing experience you are well on your way. Best wishes.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

New York State USA

my mom and dad are approaching there 70's, and I am a comeback player --- -cause I quit for nearly a decade for various reasonings. Anyways after a comeback of about 22 months -- last fall I played the "star-spangled banner" and an altissimo version of "somewhere over the rainbow" for them.
    My dad said "son for the first few years you sounded horrendous -- but I knew you loved the trumpet -- so I said keep practicing --- NOW fastforward 30 years into the future --- and playing those 2 songs --- MY dad said -"but now son I get it -- you are a trumpet player, that was beautiful"
    leemorgan fan --- 1 year, 2, however much -- just keep asking yourself why you started the trumpet in the beginning --- that answer is why you are here -- and why I believe you will continue to practice, to struggle, to GET BETTER, and to love the trumpet

The Wide Brown Land

Robeto, I concur with all the previous - while I don't completely agree with everything - the sentiment is all that counts here. It takes time, it's knowing that today is the best you have ever sounded, and tomorrow you will be BETTER, (or it will be EASIER). Search for, and grasp the positives - hold your target in your mind - hold the sound you want in your mind - you ARE the best you can be - until tomorrow.

I'm just shy of 60 and came back after 37 years away - I too, had to learn everything from scratch.

Above all the outcome of your endeavour is not the achievement of anyone else - it is all your own work, rejoice in every small step forward.

Form your lips into the same shape as you would to say "Mummmmm", gently attach the trumpet, and blow.
    Last edited by tedh1951; 06-27-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Pianissimo User
    Liverpool, England

Take on board what ROWUK advised.
    Ĺ hour per day isnít enough practice time to progress.
    Try to play for 5 to 15 minutes before you leave for school/work.
    If you can take your trumpet to school/work try to play for 15 to 20 minutes during your lunch break. When you get back home try to make time for at least half an hours practice. If you can get into a regular regime similar to this, you should see some improvement in your tone & musicality.
    Iím sure you will get frustrated in the future, even if you put in more practice time.
    Iím into my 6th year of playing and I get more frustrated with my playing than I did 3 years ago. Just remember even the most gifted players get frustrated. Try not to beat yourself up, if you put in more practice time you will experience some improvement that will give you the resolve to keep at it.

San Pedro

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    I am my favorite trumpet player. Does that mean that I will never get better?

Loving thy neighbor as thyself implies a very strong sense of self value!
    this is pretty insightful .. dig listening to yourself ... and try to get your horn to ring out as much you as you can ..not powering it but through feedback between you and the horn.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Ithaca NY

No technical advice from me.

Many players give up at two months. This is just the first of many times you will be discouraged. Press on. If you want it you will get it, but it will never be easy, and there will always be room to improve.

If you pick up the horn and in a few minutes you are unhappy with the results, put it back in the case and go do something else. Then come back to it later and try again.

I know folks who have been playing forever. They still have bad days. It is part of being human. Work through it.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Piano User

2 things;
    1) 1/2 per day is not enough. More practice.
    2) Don't give up the ship; good horn players take many years to produce

Greensboro, NC

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMorganFan View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm starting to get really frustrated with my extremely slow progress on the trumpet. It's to the point where I'm starting to question whether I'll ever learn to play this right. It's only been two months but I feel like I should have made more progress by now.

My problem is not being able to find the right lip formation in order to get a good tone. It seems like everytime I place the horn on my mouth, my lips start to search for that perfect form in order to try and get a decent tone and the result is almost always a sputtered, broken, horrible sounding sound or squak if you will. It's almost as if my lips are just not formed to play trumpet! Sometimes, I'll get a little piece of a decent tone but it doesn't last for long.

I started taking private lessons with a professional trumpeter. From day one he's got me doing excercises from a book called Super Lung Power & Breath Control. And he's got me doing basic tone production exercises from a book titled Eby's Scientific Method for Cornet and Trumpet. Despite him hearing my horrible sound and me letting him know about my embouchure problems, he hasn't really zoomed in on this topic yet.

One final note, I practice about 1/2 hour each day 4-5 times per week. Any suggestions guys? Any idea why my tone breaks up and sputters like that? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I've read all the posts to your OP. Here is what I know because I've taught beginners for 33 years. You need someone who will work with you with a standard beginning method book. After two months you should not be having the problems you describeand 1/2 hour a day is fine for a beginner. I suggest a second opinion. Just because someone is a professional doesn't mean they know how to work with beginners. I have a new student you came to me from a pro teacher who really messed up his embuchure. I would be glad to take a look at you. the first ones free.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Quote Originally Posted by MTROSTER View Post
    2 things;
    1) 1/2 per day is not enough. More practice.
    2) Don't give up the ship; good horn players take many years to produce

One of the things I say to myself these days when I'm in the practice room working on something and it's not going as well as I would like is, "Rome wasn't built in a day, and my chops won't be built in a day either." Simply put, there are no real shortcuts or quick fixes to the issues we face as players, and you just have to knuckle down, remember why you love to play the trumpet, and work hard. I've been playing for almost 30 years and I still say that to myself all the time.

Don't lose heart - just keep after it. Dedicated, systematic, dilligent practice along with a big dose of patience is the recipe for success IMO.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information