Trumpet Discussion Discuss Statements. in the General forums; Another advantage of a mathematical statement is that it is so definite that it might be definitely wrong; and if ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Statements.

Another advantage of a mathematical statement is that it is so definite that it might be definitely wrong; and if it is found to be wrong, there is a plenteous choice of amendments ready in the mathematicians' stock of formulae. Some verbal statements have not this merit; they are so vague that they could hardly be wrong, and are correspondingly useless.

-math textbook.

Hiya Dave

I must have missed something prior to that last post of yours? or its just too late here for me to understand anything? 1.50am

But i'll use this opportunity anyhow to ask if you are going to Denver Next week?

Regards

Leigh
    Eclipse Trumpets

Eclipsetrumpets.com

New Friend
    What is the occasion for the math rant, pray tell?
    "You can hold yourself back from the sufferings of the world, that is something you are free to do and it accords with your nature. But perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could avoid." --Franz Kafka

Mezzo Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse trumpets
    Hiya Dave

I must have missed something prior to that last post of yours? or its just too late here for me to understand anything? 1.50am

But i'll use this opportunity anyhow to ask if you are going to Denver Next week?

Regards

Leigh
    Hi Leigh,

Wish I could go, got a show to finish. Denver's my old stomping grounds, 15 years ago! Worked a lot there, good gigs.

The statement thing is about words and how we put them together. Some statements can be made that may or may not be true. We see lot's of that on trumpet web sites. Just ran accross it today and thought it was hip. Maybe too hip.

Mezzo Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
    What is the occasion for the math rant, pray tell?

". Some verbal statements have not this merit; they are so vague that they could hardly be wrong, and are correspondingly useless."

It's this last thing I thought was hip. We get a lot of this on trumpet web sites, in my opinion. Worded so it's not really wrong, so it's not worth much.

Like I said, maybe too hip for the room.

Thread Information