Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss The Story of Your Trumpet Journey in the General forums; November 28, 2014 wake up with urge to play trumpet acquired a Conn 36b 1960 constellation I couldn't put it ...
    New Friend

Re: The Story of Your Trumpet Journey

November 28, 2014 wake up with urge to play trumpet acquired a Conn 36b 1960 constellation I couldn't put it down. December 4, 2014 I make a 18 hr trip 1 way to pick up a 1955 12b and a 1955 6a. The journey has only begun...
    neal085 and Reedman1 like this.

New Friend

Started in fourth grade on a beatin king w/Yamaha 11. In sophomore year got a Holton 602 collegiate and band director put us all on 10 1/2 c, after hs went on to play bass w/ an unsuccessful band had some kids so that ended. Now back on horn playing w/community band I now play a Holton 1958 B47 and a 1 1/2c love it and never been happier, hopefully will play rest of my life
    Vulgano Brother and neal085 like this.

Pianissimo User

At 43 I was driving in town with a Miles Davis tape playing. I thought, "Damn, I wish I could play trumpet." Big Thought arrives. Later that day I had my first trumpet, a used student model, and the name of someone who gave private lessons. Before that I had only strummed a guitar a bit and fiddled with a piano for a few weeks here and there. I've always played for my own amusement, not for others.
    neal085 likes this.

Pianissimo User
    western Wyoming

Some interesting stories in this thread…. As Willie Nelson put it “I am what I am ‘cause I ain’t what I used to be.” Guess this applies to all of us – but for some of us the journey has been longer and the last part has been somewhat downhill… I played from 4th grade through college, after which I put my “hand-me-down” silver-plated King Liberty model in its case where it remained for 40+ years, when I put it in the trash. During my college years (1950s) I periodically played with a small combo at a local bar from 9-12PM. We each got $10 a night plus all the beer we could drink. By 10:00 we thought we were pretty good and the guys on the dance floor didn’t care anyway – they had other things on their minds. Finished college at age 21 and did not touch a mouthpiece to my lips until 51+ years later, when I picked up a used horn (King). I have since played in 3 community bands, a regional symphony orchestra and a small swing band. So at age 79 I am still “hanging in.”

But my journey doesn’t end there, and neither will yours – it continues with the impact of age-related changes in performance capabilities, ie, a decline in endurance, range, flexibility, breath-control, dexterity, “buzz-ability,” tone quality, etc. This part of the journey is as variable as our different journeys which got each of us to where we are now – but the “downhill” part of our journeys would possibly make an equally interesting thread, particularly comparing “comeback” players to those who have continued to play throughout their lives. Without doubt there would be implications for each of us as we approach “advanced middle-age” (whatever that is)……

Thanks to all for sharing your trumpet histories with the rest of us – but your journey “ain’t over ‘til it’s over.”
    BigDub and neal085 like this.
    "The first 30 years you play a trumpet, you suck!" Chris Botti

And all these years I thought I was supposed to blow!!!

Hillsborough, NJ

My story, seriously this time. I started in the fourth grade with school lessons, and a hand-me-down Trombone from my Uncle who played it in the Sea Bees in World war two. The brand or model, I have no clue. But it had no case, and the one my mom made for it looked like a prison pilow case. My arms were too short to reach 6th and 7th positions so this did not last very long. 6th grade, now the Trumpet was suggested to me, and again a hand-me-down unknown brand my older brother had played, and ironically then had switched to trombone- and he still plays to this day, a Getzen which he purchased as an adult. Now I was not getting very far with these group lessons in school once again, and begain with a private teacher the summer just before 8th grade started. I was at this point almost starting over again, but by the time school started I had such a strong desire to play in the junior high band I begged all the powers that be to let me switch my schedule around, they finally caved due to my perserverance, I suppose. I was terrible, but kept working at it and managed to eek out the third part. By time I reached my junior year in high school, I was first chair. Now still playing, I met a former band director who recently joined my community band and we struck up a conversation. I asked him if he knew my high school band director, who was also my private teacher, and he said, are you kidding, he was my uncle, and he taught me to play too! There is the story, can you imagine how we were reminiscing about all his quirks and antics, he was very funny and a character, but a jazz trumpeter from way back. It was a truly small world moment. Now we are much closer because of our common past! He is much better than I am, I need to tell you, though my credibility has increased a tiny bit!!
    trickg, neal085 and WannaScream like this.
    BigDub comments welcome!
    my avatar is my painting PM for more info
    Gmonady's editor in chief

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information