Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Strad strad strad strad xeno xeno xeno in the General forums; Try a Jaeger Diamond, and a Getzen 490/or Capri before you part with your cash. You may find the love ...
    Melbourne Australia

Re: Strad strad strad strad xeno xeno xeno

Try a Jaeger Diamond, and a Getzen 490/or Capri before you part with your cash. You may find the love of your life.

Nothing wrong with a Bach Strad or Zeno. Plenty of choice out there and have fun trying them. Go find your own horn by playing them all, and then make your own decision.

BTW what do you play at present?
    Sometimes you need to enjoy what you have as well. My best trumpet was a Bach Mercedes which was a lovely horn, but I never appreciated it as I did not know any better at the time.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Piano User

I'm a middle and high school band director. The reason that there are so many Strads and Xenos in high school bands is that they fit within a box that is both narrow and wide. First, there are more non-trumpet playing band directors than trumpet playing; so, they have to go off the recommendations of their college methods classes. Those methods classes are largely taught by classically trained trumpet players, for whom the Strad or Xeno produces the best sound. In all honesty, I do the same thing for the non-trumpet instruments. Secondly, for the type of playing that most high school players will do (concert band, marching band, high school level jazz band), a Strad or Xeno produces a jack-of-all-trades sound.

All that being said, none of my kids can afford $2600 for a new Strad or whatever a new Xeno costs, so I am open to cheaper alternatives such as Eastman, Jupiter, etc. At your level, you can't go wrong with a Strad or Xeno.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Great Southern Land

It could be a case of "No one ever got fired for buying IBM"; Recommending a Strad or a Xeno is pretty safe because both those horns have a great reputation and broad professional acceptance. Anybody who doesn't sound well on one can't blame the horn, or the person who recommended it!

Sidekick likes this.

If you want to be the kid that is different from the rest, try out a King instrument.

My beginner horn was a King 601 and then after 3 1/2 years of playing, I acquired a Bach Strad. I liked the horn while I had it, but once I started playing King's Silver Flair trumpet, I was sold. I only owned my Strad for about a year and a half. Don't think I'll ever buy another.

But like all others, YOU have to try out horns and then determine what you like. At my region band audition this year, there were 3 rooms of about 30-40 trumpet players. about 25 in each room had Strads. A few had Yamaha's. Then there was one kid with an Olds, and then the me and a few others from my school were the only people who had King instruments.

Ok, I made 9th at region. Of the 8 people that beat me, only 3 had Strads.

My two big points:
    -The player makes the horn sound good. A horn doesn't sound good on its own.
    -Before you buy a horn, try out horns from AT LEAST 4 or 5 companies.

Lastly, I can RECOMMEND you some horns to TRY OUT, but you are the ultimate decision maker.
    King Silver Flair
    King Silver Sonic
    Getzen Capri
    Conn Connstellation 38B
    CannonBall trumpets (I don't know any model numbers off the top of my head, but these are great horns.) (Not as good as my horns though )

But these are 5 great horns that can stand up to Strads and Xenos. You have to not only choose the one you like best, but you also have to make whatever you pick sound good. It isn't going to help you right away. Hope this helps.
    -2001-03 King Silver Flair 2055t
    -1995-2000 King Silver Flair 2055t
    -Unknown Brand Trumpet (gifted to me from a now deceased relative)
    -60's King Tempo Cornet

-Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Royal Blue with Sabian B8 Cymbals & Vic Firth Sticks
    -Yamaha DTXtreme III Electronic Set
    -DW 2000 Series Double Bass pedals
    -various Yamaha hardware and stands

-Ibanez GRG120BDXL (Left Handed)
    -Agile Hawker (Left Handed)

New Orleans

I have Bachs in the arsenal at the moment but I would be delighted with a Yamaha. I don't think you could go wrong with either horn for High school. Try some out and make up your own mind.

Harrelson HT3 custom #1 bell #6 LP
    Harrelson Summit One Art #4 lp & #11RX bell (arriving soon)
    Harrelson modified 909 Flugel
    1947 Martin Committee #3
    1952 Olds Recording tpt (Los Angeles)
    1992 Bach Stradivarius 180sML 43
    Antoine Courtois 301 prestige C Tpt
    Antoine Courtois 311 ML prestige Tpt
    1969 Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax
    1969 Selmer Mark VI Alto Sax
    Yamaha YSS62 Soprano Sax

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

It's not hard to make a list of horn makers that have consistent good quality. Once you have that try them out and see what feels good. I've tried Strads and Xenos, I liked the Xeno reverse lead pipe the best, thinking about getting one.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Heart of Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by ricecakes230 View Post
    ...People tell me a Bach Stradivarius is where it's at...
    People are right.

Being able to play one (or any other trumpet) well is even better. It all boils down to having a horn that does what you want it to do with the least effort.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

I firmly believe the right trumpet will find us if we can keep from being blinded by brands. I really like trumpets on the lightweight side for my Bb trumpet. I played a Getzen Severinsen until it died of old age and then a Schilke B6. I put a Monette prototype leadpipe on the Getzen, then moved it to the Schilke. I look for intonation, response and the ability to get the sound in my head out the bell.

If you can play the heck out of it, it doesn't matter what brand it is!
    tobylou8 and Comeback like this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Lagos, Nigeria

You have to consider how your "I have an XYZ" line will sound to a viola player with no knowledge of trumpets. If you say "I have a Bach" she'll recommend cough medicine; "I have a Pinto" and she'll tell you to see a chiropodist.

"I have a Wild Thing" gets pretty good mileage
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Monke Mystery Horn - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Pianissimo User
    Perth, Western Australia

It's about you and the sound that you want to make.
    The best hardware setup is the one that intrudes least on that relationship.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information