Trumpet Discussion Discuss Strange vibration in the General forums; Hello yall! I’m really needing advice. All you brainy, physics-minded guys……please think this through and help me out if you ...
    New Friend

Strange vibration

Hello yall! I’m really needing advice. All you brainy, physics-minded guys……please think this through and help me out if you can!

Quick recap (skipping the gory details, unless you want to read them):

I have had porcelain crowns put on my top two front teeth due to an injury to those teeth 6 years ago. I was playing professionally at the time of the injury and would like to have the opportunity to play on a professional level again. I’ve known that the first step would be to crown those teeth, then re-evaluate from there what the future holds for my playing. That’s where I am now.

The crowns are there and they look great. The dentist understood about getting the crowns just right (no bulk) for trumpet playing and has done a beautiful job. The problem is that those teeth vibrate every now and then. They are touching slightly and when I play certain pitches, I guess my lips cause them to make a little buzzing sound. It’s so frustrating!! I’ve gone in twice and he has carefully “sanded” a little between the teeth but it is still not enough. I go in again on Tuesday (the last time before my Christmas Eve gig…yikes!)

At this point, I have two choices: Have him sand more off until they don’t touch at all, ruin all his beautiful work and have an all-star spitting gap….or have him slightly bond the two teeth together so they don’t vibrate. I need to add that I’ve been playing a little for the past 6 years with the two original teeth bonded together without any problems. I just didn’t want to try to depend on those teeth long term, as they needed frequent re-bonding.

I worried that with these crowns I would have to learn to play all over again, but that's not happening at all. Basically the only thing in my way right now is this stupid vibration. I know that's what it is because I can place a little piece of waxed floss between those teeth and it stops. I’d play with the floss there, but it unravels after a few minutes….I’d hate to inhale it!!

Any thoughts on this situation would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    Umm... does the audience hear the vibration? Do you find it physically annoying?... or is it just a "sensation" that you are aware of that you are concerned about?

If the latter then I'd just live with it and it'll probably go away.

If it's physically annoying (the way I find the vibration of "free buzzing" physically irritating .... a strong "tickle" that I can't stand) then ... I'm at a loss.

If the audience can hear it.. then you DO have a problem and need to do "what it takes" to get rid of it. If that involves some reshaping... then that's what you need to have done. The dentist should understand.

Thread Information