Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ewanmains
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Strength Training? in the General forums; Hi all, I don't like posting about range but here goes... I was wondering what exercises could be developed into ...
    Pianissimo User
    United Kingdom

Strength Training?

Hi all,

I don't like posting about range but here goes... I was wondering what exercises could be developed into a daily routine to help increase stamina in the upper range. The range itself isn't the problem, I have a good sound and good intonation up to an F over high C. The obvious answer to my question would be "the more you play higher the easier it will get". The type of strength conditioning I am asking about it still being able to hit the notes with the same sound quality as i could at the beginning of the day. Although stamina is linked to the ease in which we play in the lower/mid registers are there any specific exercises apart from the usual long tones and mid range lip slurs that would help achieve stamina in the upper register (high C above) over the long term?

Yamaha Xeno 20th Anniversary Edition
    Stomvi Elite Eb/D
    Yamaha piccolo YTR 9835

Kilmarnock, UK

Re: Strength Training?

Hi NYCO10,

I would look into some low pressure exercises. Part of what controls our endurance when playing is the amount of pressure we use, especially when ascending. The more pressure you use, the more you restrict the blood flow, the more lactic acid builds up and the more swelling you get. Work to reduce the pressure as much as you can above the staff.

For instance, try playing the harmonic sequence on C, ascending, but without your pinky in the hook. See how far you get before the sounds stops. Try it again with only one hand holding the horn, but try to use a more focused air stream to create faster air, this will depend on your embouchure how you do this - there are a variety of techniques you can utilise for this. (There are people on here who know far more about this than I do, so I'll bow to their expertise). The goal is to create a faster, more efficient air stream but without putting in more physical effort.

Hope this helps.

fredthewhale likes this.

Thread Information