Trumpet Discussion Discuss Strengthening in the General forums; I have been playing for 12 years. However, ever since graduating high school 4 years ago, I stopped playing my ...
    New Friend

I have been playing for 12 years. However, ever since graduating high school 4 years ago, I stopped playing my trumpet completely, which I regret. A few months ago I joined a symphonic band just to get back in shape, and with practice (a lot), I am confident I will gain it back. My main concern is that I would like some techniques or exercises that any of you have to offer in relation to building and improving strength for hitting high notes comfortablyand consistently, and more importantly (the main topic of discussion here) is increasing endurance and stamina, allowing for longer playing periods with hitting high notes and not exhausting embouchure muscles. I have heard, practicing with specific types of mouth pieces may help, decreasing air leakage, strengthening muscle methods such as placing a pencil between your lips and holding it parallel with the ground, etc. If you have any suggestions please post them here. Thanks trumpetmasters

Levittown , NY

Re: Strengthening

Soft longtones , lip slurs, scales, arppegios up and down as high as you can play, Arbans ,Clarke Studies and solos ,basically use smart diligent practice everyday, to be able to play high you have to practice high no short cuts, just do it softly, it helps reduce mouthpiece pressure and keeps the lips together without beating yourself up.

Re: Strengthening

there is no magic formula for anything that you mentioned. If you have 12 years of experience, and payed attention during that time, YOU know what worked for you. After 4 years break, do not expect your chops to be back in 4 weeks. 6 months to a year will be necessary to get back any consistency.

Let us know what you call "practice". What do you do EVERY SINGLE DAY to get back into shape.

Get a teacher, get a daily routine, and forget about shortcuts.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information