Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Strict practice routine? in the General forums; Originally Posted by B15M I am going to change today. I always use the tip. I will post what happens. ...
    Monroe Ct.
    Quote Originally Posted by B15M
    I am going to change today. I always use the tip. I will post what happens.

I have never been a great triple tonguer so this will be a great test for me
    I was wrong. When I sat down and tried this I realized that I already do it , I just never thought about it I guess.

Forte User
    Northern New York
    John- Is it possible that your language is a bit extreme? To say that tip is "wrong", I mean? This is how I play, it works for me, it's what I teach and I know alot of players who are much better than I am that articulate tip as well. It is different than KTM or anchor or whatever, but is wrong really the word? Especially if it sounds fine? My professor used KTM, but did not teach it to everyone because he did not feel it was appropriate for all players to use it (or, rather, that it was not right for certain players, but right for others).
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Perhaps what I wrote sounds a bit too extreme. "Never say never," right?

I suppose it is possible - even probable - that there are players out there, including you, who can develop quite nicely tonguing with the tip of their tongue. I suppose if ones tongue is shorter than average, it won't be too far back in the mouth when tonguing with the tip behind the top teeth (a situation which often causes the dreaded "My throat closes up or constricts when I try to play high notes" syndrome). Everybody has a different mouth and tongue structure.

I suppose a reasonable speed and a reasonable level of accuracy can be attained even when tonguing with the tip behind the top teeth.

But I think that would be the exception. I think the vast majority of players will do better if they learn to tongue using the KTM method.

I can multiple tongue up to G above High C easily. I can pick up a horn cold and nail a full volume F or even G above High C as a first note accurately, every time. I know I personally could never have developed the ability to do that when tonguing with the tip the way I used to.

After learning this KTM (as Claude calls it) way of tonguing, when I go back and try to tongue with my tongue tip, it now feels horribly awkward.

I'd like to mention that when Claude taught me about KTM, he had waited until I had studied with him for a year. Then he introduced me to it. He gave me a few exercises to develop my KTM ability (including practicing KTM articulations off-the-horn for about 10 to 15 minutes a day, and also practicing KTM articulations on middle range notes, starting on G in the staff repeated over and over, and then moving upward step by step to middle C and then down to Low C). For the first few weeks it felt quite awkward. But then after it locked in, as I wrote, going back to the old method is just horrible now for me.

Lastly, I think it's best to stay away from the term "anchor tonguing" when describing the KTM type way of tonguing. The tip of the tongue should be placed lightly behind the bottom teeth, never "anchored". To me, the idea of introducing the word "anchor" or "anchored" is to advise the player to place unnecessary tension in the tongue, which would be quite detrimental.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Forte User
    Good info here. One of the first things to go for me is articulation. After taking extended periods of time off the horn, the articulation is what gives me the most problems.

Metro Detroit
    Yeah this is a bit to take in...

It made me think back to a time in my life long ago when I acquired the nickname "Hammer Tongue"

I still tend to have too heavy a tongue; but I'm working on it.
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information