Trumpet Discussion Discuss Stuck slides! Help in the General forums; In the process of revamping an old horn I have I found that I can only remove the tuning slides. ...
    New Friend

Stuck slides! Help

In the process of revamping an old horn I have I found that I can only remove the tuning slides. Every other slide is absolutely stuck. Are there any methods you guys suggest for removing them safely?

Should I try rubbing Ice-cubes on the stuck areas in an attempt to let the metal contract a little? Help!

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit
    Take the horn to your local pro shop!
    You will do nothing but damage the horn if you try yourself.
    I would laeve home remedies to the common cold.

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

New Friend
    Well, too late! I was left to my own devices

I remembered the trick of taking a fairly thick towel and looping it between the slides and SLOWLY and CAREFULLY pull while gently massaging back and forth. Basically once the initial movement forward is made its all gravy from there.

Now that I have removed all slides I have noticed a decent amount of buildup of grime that I would like to remove before greasing it up again and getting set to play. Is there any easy way to get out the gunk other than with luke-warm water and the snake brush?

Would it be a horrible idea to maybe use a small mix of water and liquid Dawn or something to that effect?

Pianissimo User
    Maybe you should wait for confirmation of my word, but soaking in warm water for a while can get the worst of grime off of pretty much anything. I don't know about soap, but I use a little (in combination with the warm water).
    -"More air", "open the throat", "arch the tongue"; Next
    -"Long tones: my anti-drug"

New Friend
    Thanks, I let it soak in luke-warm water for about an hour, then I gave it a solid scrub with the snake-brush, then I re-soaked for 20 minutes and added a dab of dishwasing soap, scrubbed, rinsed, re-rinsed, and re-assembled without any problems.

Now all of the slides move easily without much force!

Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I have been a repair technician full time for a few years and part time for the last 20 or so. I have a dip tank in the garage, and that is what I'd do. Since you don't, you probably should take it to a shop that can dip it. Having said that, I've been wondering what a product like CLR or some other calcium eating cleaner would do. I suspect that it would strip a lot of the gunk out, but I'd hesitate to try it on a horn that I didn't want to risk damaging.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

New Friend
    Hey Mike

Can you check out my thread in General Discussion asking about a specific component of the pistons? It would be a big help!

Thread Information