Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss STUCK Valve in the General forums; I just purchased a trumpet on Ebay and the second valve is stuck; it absolutely will NOT budge! I have ...
    New Friend

Question STUCK Valve

I just purchased a trumpet on Ebay and the second valve is stuck; it absolutely will NOT budge! I have oiled it very well and worked with it for hours, but it's as if it is frozen in place. What can I do to get it out? Also, is it likely that I may have to replace this valve? If I do, where could I possibly get a replacement valve for one that's over thirty five years old? ANY Input would be Greatly Appreciated!

New Friend

Re: STUCK Valve

Im a young trumpeter. But I have this problem ALL the time. What you do is remove the bottom of the valve and put some normal water down there. Make sure its warm. That should do the trick. If that does not work I reccomend you to take it to a shop. But check the second valve slide. If its crooked that will screw it up too. But it wouldent hurt if you removed that. Hope this information helps

The second valve slide is probably out of alignment.

I agree with Brekelefuw, you can knock the second valve casing out-of-round by pulling hard on a stuck second valve slide (I learned this the hard way). Or the horn could have been put down hard on that second valve slide.

Have a technician look at it.
    I gotta get me one of those cool slogans.....

Even putting a few pages of sheet music on your case on top of the horn can cause minor bending of the second valve slide area. The knuckles that connect the slide tubes to the valve casing are annealed and therefore are pretty soft.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

If you are adventurous, take a right sized dowel, and after unscrewing everything in sight, gently strike the valve with a hammer. If that doesn't free the valve it will break it.

Either way, your problem will be solved!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Hey sis!
    if the valve is frozen solid, it probably has a problem to serious for self help. Ask some decent trumpet player to look at it (or your band teacher if they are not already on vacation). It could be something simple, but if it isn't and you force it, it will even get worse and maybe even cause permanant damage.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

Smile Re: STUCK Valve

I managed to get the valve out by "hammering" it out; it did not break, and it appeared to be in fine working condition. I had to take it out through the bottom of the valve casing, it would NOT budge when trying to take it out through the top. When I tried to put it in via the top of casing, something stopped its' progression almost immediately. After having looked inside, examining it closely with plenty of light, I could see nothing which would impede the valve's progression. However, I could plainly see that the top outside of the casing in question, had an obvious bending of it. The 1st and 3rd valve casings are perfectly round, the 2nd, looks to have been struck hard by something-------hard! Would this require in shop repair, and can it be repaired? I've got the option of sending the trumpet back to the seller for a full refund; before doing that I need to find out if I would have to put out much money in having it repaired.
    I want to THANK everyone who has responded to my post! I ALWAYS Appreciate Any and All Responses from All the WONDERFUL, KNOWLEDGABLE "Folks" On "Trumpetmaster!"

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    If you are adventurous, take a right sized dowel, and after unscrewing everything in sight, gently strike the valve with a hammer. If that doesn't free the valve it will break it.

Either way, your problem will be solved!
    Now, who can argue with that?

The definitive answer!!

-cw-
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by sistertrumpetdoc View Post
    I managed to get the valve out by "hammering" it out; it did not break, and it appeared to be in fine working condition. I had to take it out through the bottom of the valve casing, it would NOT budge when trying to take it out through the top. When I tried to put it in via the top of casing, something stopped its' progression almost immediately. After having looked inside, examining it closely with plenty of light, I could see nothing which would impede the valve's progression. However, I could plainly see that the top outside of the casing in question, had an obvious bending of it. The 1st and 3rd valve casings are perfectly round, the 2nd, looks to have been struck hard by something-------hard! Would this require in shop repair, and can it be repaired? I've got the option of sending the trumpet back to the seller for a full refund; before doing that I need to find out if I would have to put out much money in having it repaired.
    I want to THANK everyone who has responded to my post! I ALWAYS Appreciate Any and All Responses from All the WONDERFUL, KNOWLEDGABLE "Folks" On "Trumpetmaster!"
    This will require shop repair and I question if it will really be worth it. You need to get an estimate fast before you are stuck with the instrument. Something else must be wrong if you could take the valve out of the bottom though - normally the valve guides would not allow that. Maybe you even have pieces missing?
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information