Trumpet Discussion Discuss Stuck Valve Cap in the General forums; I have taken on the responsibility of cleaning and preparing our schools horns for the upcoming marching band season. My ...
    New Friend

Question Stuck Valve Cap

I have taken on the responsibility of cleaning and preparing our schools horns for the upcoming marching band season. My question is: What do I use to lossen up stuck valve caps and slides? I know to take a towel and loop it through a slide to gently remove those, but what is the best way to loosen valve caps? Can I use a penetrating oil like WD-40 or would a pair of pliers be better. I don't want to cause any damage to the horns, but I know some of them haven't seen the light of day for a few years.

Thanks for your responces.
    1994 Jupiter JTR-1200
    1983 Bach Strad 37 ML

Re: Stuck Valve Cap

I don't think the WD-40 would hurt it, so I would try that first. But if it still is stuck, then I would try wrapping the pliers in a towel so it doesn't ruin it any further.
    Bach Strad Chicago C
    Schilke Bb B3
    Raw brass Bb Bach TR300
    Yamaha Eb
    1931 Conn 22B New York Symphony

I didn't want to get that ring around my lips from practicing the trumpet, because I thought the girls wouldn't like me. So I never practiced.-
    Wynton Marsalis

“I get asked this every once in awhile you know, how do you deal with fear? And all that stuff that most common you got a tough piece to play and I said, if that’s the way you are you don’t belong there.” – Bud Herseth

Piano User

While most will tell you never use the pliers, I've done it many times. As long as you don't squeeze too hard you won't damage the horn. Just be very careful.
    Live Long and Prosper

The black is the notes, the white is the page.....play the black!!

'When you're sleeping, someone else is practicing.'"-Herb Alpert

Use of a light rawhyde mallet is the way to properly loosen valve caps (this is how techs do it). A few light wraps on the edge of the cap where the knurling is.... toward the center of the valve on 2 or three sides usually does the trick....they should spin off by hand after doing so.

If you're doing this for the first time practice on a beater or a student grade horn like your talking about. I'd hate to have you slip and dent anything. Covering areas not intended on being tapped by the mallet with a cloth would go a long way toward confidence until you master this technique.

hard rubber or non marring plastic might do the same type of job....but I've only used a small rawhyde mallet since that's how I was taught to do it. The head on the mallet I use is about the size of a standard spool of thread.
    Pan America Pea Shooter
    Conn Connquest
    47 King Liberty Trumpet
    Bach Stratavarious (everyday horn)

Yamaha TR-639 Rose bell
    37 buescher Aristrocrat "custom built" Cornet
    Olds Studio (nickel plate)
    57 conn 12A Coprion
    Holton Collegiate Cornet
    Conn Victor Cornet
    Conn 1914 Perfected wonder (C, B, A flat)
    Conn 1912 perfected wonder (C, B flat)
    Buescher 1903 Epoch Cornet
    57 Olds Special Cornet
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet
    1935 Mahillon Flugel
    Reynolds marching F

Use the wooden handle of a hammer or a drum stick if you have one.
    I trick I learned for bottom caps is to stick the drumstick down the valve casing so you push the bottom cap down instead of into the valve casing. Just don't do it too hard.

When you pull stuck slides make sure you double loop the shoe lace so when the s lide comes popping out it doesn't end up on the floor.

Get a tub of lanolin from the pharmacy and grease up the slides and the valve cap threads so they don't stick anymore.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Thread Information