Trumpet Discussion Discuss Stuck Valve Casings & slides in the General forums; What is the best way to get stuck valve casings and slides off without excessive pressure or pliers? I know ...
    New Friend

Lightbulb Stuck Valve Casings & slides

What is the best way to get stuck valve casings and slides off without excessive pressure or pliers?
    I know going to the shop and spending the extra dollars is the safe way to go, but anything I should try before spending the money?

Northern California

Re: Stuck Valve Casings & slides

I assume your talking about upper and lower valve caps and not the casings; or maybe the valves are stuck in the casings. When I start taking apart a horn with stuck slides I start by running warm water through the horn for several minutes. I have a hose that clips over a faucet that I can plug into the receiver and just let it flow with as much pressure as I can. If that doesn't work I soak the horn in warm water for a few hours (realizing things like felts can be damaged in the process). Various snakes can help get the tuning slide free, and a liberal amount of valve oil can sometimes loosen up sticky caps and valves. That's about all I can think of without resorting to tools. I've pulled lots of slides from lots of horns, but when I picked up a classic Couesnon flugel with a stuck 2nd valve that I intended to keep I didn't even mess with it--I took it to the shop--a small price to pay to eliminate the possibility of my damaging the horn.

Pianissimo User
    Franklin, Pa

Anything stuck should be a trip to your local tech, IMHO.....DONT DO what the "experts" on You Tube suggest....rawhide mallets, WD 40......the ONLY thing that gets near my horns are valve oil, slide grease,a polishing rag and my lips!!!! No tools, no chemicals,no brute force.........

New Friend
    Jacksonville, FL

Don't screw with it..take it to a shop...if you are really not sure then you could cause more damage to the horn which in turn would cost more to fix. Let the pros handle it.
    1939 Conn 12b, "Coprion" Bell
    1986 Bach Strad 180MLS, 72 Bell
    2010 Yamaha Custom Z YTR-8335LA

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent.
    - Calvin Coolidge

Ithaca NY

Do a search on this and the other forum for stuck slides, stuck valve caps. I have a set of rubberized pliers for pulling spark plug boots off the plugs and they work great on the stuck valve caps:
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

I agree with sending it to a tech. As an aspiring tech, I often see horns that are screwed up with the "best intentions". The valves and casings are made with soft brass. Any dent or mishaping by using pliers etc. can damage not only the casings outside, but, worse, the interior, and the piston itself. Every time someone tries to do it yourself, the tech hears the "ka-ching" adding up in his register.

Use warm water, so as not to dealquer your horn, and keep at it. If it doesn't work, take it to a tech.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing
    Selmer Paris Piccolo Trumpet
    Eastman C Trumpet
    Zeus Guarnerius Flugel Horn
    Jin Boa Bass Trumpet
    Kanstul G Bugle

Thread Information