Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Student cant get a sound in the General forums; Originally Posted by cornetguy In my brass methods class, I have a student that cant get a sound out. When ...
    Palos Park, IL

Re: Student cant get a sound

Quote Originally Posted by cornetguy
    In my brass methods class, I have a student that cant get a sound out. When they are it is thin pinched and in general awful even for a beginner. I am running out of ideas on how to get her to get a better sound. Have worked on breathing, her primary instrument is a vocalist and hacks at piano and guitar. She cant get a buzz on the mouthpiece either. Have suspicion about apature being off, will check that out next class.

Any ideas

Trust me about as much as you'd trust an internet car mechanic, but have her continue just mouthpiece buzzing for a week or so just to see if she can obtain a resonant mouthpiece buzz. Happened to me for years, I couldn't mouthpiece buzz, had a strained sound, finally worked on the mouthpiece buzzing for a week or so until the sound was resonant, and that was the start to obtaining the full, rich, ringing sound that 'dem big sunofaguns play with.

That's just the initial approach I would take, not meant to be taken literally as the end-all.
    Bach 180LR, 72 bell
    Bach 1-1/2C
    Bach 3D

Pianissimo User
    Trust me about as much as the previous poster, but maybe try the pencil exercise? This should tell her which muscles are supposed to do the vibrating, at least.
    Yamaha Xeno Bb (YTR-8335GS) // Monette B2
    Yamaha Xeno C (YTR-8445S) // Monette C2

Piano User
    Toronto Canada

I'll let your post speak for itself just as I let my post speak for itself.

All I said in my initial response to this post is that if you 'can't' teach this kid, then perhaps its time to move on. YOU were the one who got all bent out of shape and became defensive. That denotes you are doing something wrong or feeling bad about something. Probably because in the back of your head you know this kid probably wont make it on the trumpet.

As for which 'symphony' I am first chair for. I've had years of classical training to date but I play Jazz exclusivly in clubs. I find it to be an extremly creative outlet, rather than just playing complex arpegios in an orchestra setting.

As for me 'Maturing' I think it is YOU who needs to mature and stop verballing attacking people because of your insecurity when they state their opinions.
    Work hard for what you want, and you’ll get it

Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece
    Bach 1c Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information