Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss STUDY: does music make u smarter?? in the General forums; Originally Posted by Tootsall ...One of them just graduated with her B. Mus (performance). Her academic grades were always "good ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootsall
    ...One of them just graduated with her B. Mus (performance). Her academic grades were always "good enough, could be better". She had the attitude that "I'm going to be a musician so I don't have to work at the other stuff". Too bad... she missed out on a lot of potential scholarships.
    Wow. That describes my high school existence to a 'T', only my grades were so bad, I barely graduated. Since High school, however, I have not gotten less than a B on anything, and I've gotten mostly As. Now on to the actual survey. By the way, I'm 34. I think I have earned the right to dispense with my high school grades. Besides, a person's grades and their level of intelligence are two different things entirely.

Instrument? Proficient at trumpet, drums, (kit and rudimental snare) vocals

Overall average/grade point? Tech school GPA in 1998 - 1999 was 3.9

Math grade? Last "math" grade I got was a B in physics, but my last algebra grade was a C-

English Grade? *cough*, ahem, D (and I got an F one semester) (this from the guy who proof-read all of his wife's graduate work 8) Not that my grammar is perfect by any means, but it was good enough to check her work.)

I simply did not apply myself in high school. If I had it to do over again, I could probably have matched my older sister and graduated in the top 10% of my class, but I had a problem with homework. You see, I just didn't do it. ;)
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Indianapolis, Indiana
    I like trickg, almost didn't graduate from High School. However I did produce a high SAT and ACT score as well as a high IQ while I was in High School. How come so smart yet so dumb? Homework, I didn't do it. I did what I had to do in High School in order to pass and I almost didn't. I was lucky to get into college. Thank you IQ and ACT scores.

I have studied the trumpet since the third grade. Do I think that had something to do with my high scores in the other areas? You bet your bippy I do. Since High School I have gone on to receive undergraduate degrees in both Music and Engineering earning mostly an A or a B in classes. Yes I had a C or two. Now, my engineering degree pays the bills while my music degree provides for my frustration. I have studied the trumpet for forty-seen years and I have yet to master the darn thing. When I retire from the engineering field I plan on becoming a professional musician. In time, life does provide it's own rewards.

Do I contribute a part of my success to my study of the trumpet and music in general? Yes.
    Dale Schmidt, P.E.
    Bridges to build and Rivers crossed...

Digital Domain
    Here is a page that pretty much says it all:

Being a math educator, I can only say that I would like to see music required for all students in grades 5-8! After grade 8, they will either love it or hate it. If they hate it then let them drop it, but they have gained something with four years of exposure to music. I fight many battles for our music department and I am a lowly math teacher! But, I a very adament about kids learning to play.

Forte User
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Are we talking about Junior, High School or College?

I did very badly in Junior and in High School but did excellently in College. The difference in studies was less music in college and too much music in Junior and in High School.

Liad Bar-EL

BTW, my dog's name is Aliza which means happiness. Doesn't she make you laugh with that sad look?

Forte User
    you should check out "The Mozart Affect" by Don Cambell. it has some intresting things about the affect of music on the brain and body. He veiws the Mozart Affect as something that affects many aspects of the body not just IQ. it would be highly worth your time for such a project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information