Trumpet Discussion Discuss Sudden Tone Problem... in the General forums; Hello, my name is John Vietta, and I am an aspiring college Cornetinst/Trumpetier and have a question: Here in Durant, ...
    New Friend
    Durant, OK

Sudden Tone Problem...

Hello, my name is John Vietta, and I am an aspiring college Cornetinst/Trumpetier and have a question:

Here in Durant, Ok we have an annual jazz festival at Lake Texoma and I have played in it every year since it started (about 4). Every year was fine until this year, I had been playing lead for about three hours that day (total) on a Bach LR180S (#43 bell) and a Shilke 14A4A...usally I play on a 1 1/2C. Anyway, ever since then (about 2 weeks) my tone has become airy and just bad overall. I lost my darkness in the sound...also, my range plummeted to A above the staff, and response has not been as good either. Can anyone give some advice, in an effort to remedy this, I have been playing nothing but long tones and the Phrasing studies from the Arban's book........but to little avail... ...............
    I love the sound of a cornet, much mellower than a trumpet, but still able to force out that orchestral brashness if needbe...

Utimate User
    Dear Johnny,

It's the sort of thing that happens to all of us for any number of reasons. It can be anything that causes it but the bottom line, all things being equal, is likely that you stresed your lips after adopting a pattern, temporary or otherwise, of taking in les air.

The solution is simple: the next time you play, I'd like you to take in as much air as you can. Sip in a bit more while staying very relaxed. Sip in a bit more. And a bit more until you are maxed out but still relaxed.

Let it go. The only reason I want you to do this is to reacquaint yourself with how much air you can hold.

Now go ahead with your normal, musical practice, warmup routine and avail yourself of as much air as you did but still relaxed. The key now is to play at a lesser dynamic with this renewed amunt of air. Keep taking more than you "need". Just play with a full capacity but at a slightly subdued dynamic. You'll note almost immediately that your sound is easier to create and more buoyant. Play tunes, easy ones, that require little thought and always have plenty of air to play them.

You'll be fine shortly.

Thread Information