Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Suggestions On Good Reasonable Trumpets in the General forums; A used pro line horn is usually a better buy than a new intermediate instrument. In my part of the ...
    A used pro line horn is usually a better buy than a new intermediate instrument. In my part of the world you can get a good used Bach Strad. for between $600 & 800. I'd love it if all my trumpet students started on used Strads instead of beginner crap. Other pro horns are priced similarly in good used condition.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

The most important thing is that you try these trumpets. It's no use picking up something soley off a recommendation - try everything you can afford, and see which you like best. Try more than one of each type of trumpet (Bach have a reputation for inconsistency, and Conn V1s come with a variety of bell options, for example).

You could ask your teacher to come with you to listen to you playing, and see which they prefer in terms of sound.

Pianissimo User
    Hi! Well technically, I may end up on E-Bay. Any best trumpets off of that?

New Friend
    A pre 68 King Silver Flair, awesome horn for the $$$.

Pianissimo User
    Yet another question for my forum, what is the difference between a 1-piece bell and a 2-piece bell? I was reading up on Yamaha Allegro and was just wondering if Bach Omega had the same thing or not.
    Thanks in advance.

Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by mheffernen5
    Yet another question for my forum, what is the difference between a 1-piece bell and a 2-piece bell? I was reading up on Yamaha Allegro and was just wondering if Bach Omega had the same thing or not.
    Thanks in advance.
    dude stop wasting your time with omega and allegro...

we have warned you!

Pianissimo User
    Whatever!!! On Trumpet Herald some college kid thought a TR300 was intermediates! I am not making this up either...

Forte User
    since you dont seem to take my word for it go waste your money and find out for your self that an omega is just a silver plated student horn.

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dizforprez
    since you dont seem to take my word for it go waste your money and find out for your self that an omega is just a silver plated student horn.
    BURN!!!!!!HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY PRECIOUS!!!

Really, I think you are slamming the Omega just a little bit too harshly. I've left plenty a Strad player crying in my wake (literally, I'm not making that up). They are virtually the same freakin' horn. Same valve body, slides, pretty sure on the leadpipe. The only differences I know about are that an Omega has a two-piece bell, and it also has an adjustable 3rd slide ring. An advanced intermediate horn, yeah, I'd call it that, but STUDENT HORN?! No, man, just...no
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Quote Originally Posted by mheffernen5
    Whatever!!! On Trumpet Herald some college kid thought a TR300 was intermediates! I am not making this up either...
    Compared to many a beginner's horn, a Bach 300 is an intermediate. At least if an intermediate is considered a step up from reasonable beginners' horns. Compare it to a Jupiter or Amati. Some of the Yamaha starter horns are considerably better than many beginner horns too.

Intermediate is a wide shelf. The top-shelf is more narrow. There is less money to be made there. More bottom shelf trumpets are sold more than anything else.

Trumpets are not that expensive when you compare them to bassoons, oboes, french horns, trombones, tubas, and saxophones. Why buy an intermediate horn (low professional, artist, pick a term) horn when you can buy a great one at a reasonable price?

I think if a parent asked me today what horn to start their student on, I would try to get them to buy an intermediate horn. The cost is not that much greater and the student will have much greater success.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information