Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 59
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Suggestions On Good Reasonable Trumpets in the General forums; Originally Posted by MUSICandCHARACTER Trumpets are not that expensive when you compare them to bassoons, oboes, french horns, trombones, tubas, ...
  1. #21
    Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nazareth, PA
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSICandCHARACTER
    Trumpets are not that expensive when you compare them to bassoons, oboes, french horns, trombones, tubas, and saxophones. Why buy an intermediate horn (low professional, artist, pick a term) horn when you can buy a great one at a reasonable price?
    I agree with you on that point. Really, you don't save a lot of money, but considering I saved 600 bucks, I can see where someone who has a bit of a financial problem would hesitate just going straight for the Strad. The only thing that's burning me is people saying that the Omega sucks. It doesn't, it may not have the purity of tone like a Strad or Kanstul, but it is definitely miles above a beginner horn. It will sing if you do your part.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

  2. #22
    Forte User MUSICandCHARACTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by bigaggietrumpet

    BURN!!!!!!HOW DARE YOU INSULT MY PRECIOUS!!!
    No really ... I would have never guessed

    BTW, bigaggietrumpet wrote a great article this month.

    M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

  3. #23
    Forte User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by bigaggietrumpet
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSICandCHARACTER
    Trumpets are not that expensive when you compare them to bassoons, oboes, french horns, trombones, tubas, and saxophones. Why buy an intermediate horn (low professional, artist, pick a term) horn when you can buy a great one at a reasonable price?
    I agree with you on that point. Really, you don't save a lot of money, but considering I saved 600 bucks, I can see where someone who has a bit of a financial problem would hesitate just going straight for the Strad. The only thing that's burning me is people saying that the Omega sucks. It doesn't, it may not have the purity of tone like a Strad or Kanstul, but it is definitely miles above a beginner horn. It will sing if you do your part.

    you seem to be happy with the middle ground that horn gives you...to me a horn either meets the grade or it doesnt, and an omega doenst. i wouldnt dream of playing one even if you gave me lots of $ to do so, and i have never seen one on a gig or even in college ensembles for that matter.

    if you are serious about the trumpet you will have to get a pro horn at some point and your omega POS will have little resale value so ask your self , did you really save money? no...you spent more in the long run.

    ps omegas SUCK :wink:

  4. #24
    Mezzo Piano User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    520
    Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:24 am Post subject:

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Whatever!!! On Trumpet Herald some college kid thought a TR300 was intermediates! I am not making this up either...


    Compared to some of the stuff out there, it is an intermediate horn. Just go play some different horns and go from there. You as a player know what level you are at and what you have to do on certain horns to make them work for you. My suggestion is to go find a horn that allows you to play to your potential without having to work hard. That's my take on the situation.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

    Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

  5. #25
    Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nazareth, PA
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by dizforprez
    you seem to be happy with the middle ground that horn gives you...to me a horn either meets the grade or it doesnt, and an omega doenst. i wouldnt dream of playing one even if you gave me lots of $ to do so, and i have never seen one on a gig or even in college ensembles for that matter.

    if you are serious about the trumpet you will have to get a pro horn at some point and your omega POS will have little resale value so ask your self , did you really save money? no...you spent more in the long run.

    ps omegas SUCK :wink:
    Wanna see one in a college ensemble? The University bands are having a concert tonight at Rudder Theater. Before this, it also played in a community(read:community college) Jazz band.

    Really, I don't know what you have against the Omega. There are 3 different kinds of trumpets in our concert band- The Strad(typical setup), one guy has a Calicchio RS37, and then me on my Omega. You know what? We tune going down the row, and surprise surprise, you could not tell one horn from the other as far as tone quality goes (actually the RS37 stands out just a little). The only difference that there is comes from 1) the player and 2) the mouthpiece.

    Let's see, I've had this horn since 7th grade, which means I have had it for 6 years, smoked several Strads with it since then, so I feel like I got my money's worth out of it. In case you haven't heard the story of this particular horn, I'll spare you the tale and tell you that it won't be going anywhere. I wouldn't trade this horn if you stood in front of me with a gold plated Mt. Vernon.

    Don't knock em unless you try em.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

  6. #26
    Forte User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,097
    I have tried an omega( that is why i am knocking them!!), I had a student that I gave lessons to that owned one ( against my recommendation) and I played on it before, and it doesn’t compare to any pro horn I have played on and was a waste of $ since he could have gotten a great used pro horn for the same price.

    but i can relate to how you feel since I had a Getzen 900 in high school and part of college that I felt the same way about as you do your omega but when I started getting better as a player I found the horn lacking in many respects. I still have the horn and play it when ever I get a jazz or blues gig in a real rowdy bar but I wouldn’t dream of taking it to play with any of the local orchestras I play with.

    If that horn meets YOUR standards fine, but it doesn’t meet mine.

    PS omegas STILL suck


  7. #27
    Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nazareth, PA
    Posts
    801
    I understand that. Hey, not every horn is for everyone. If it makes you feel better, I'll concede that I got an exception to the rule. But I still think my Omega plays just as well as an Omega. Give me about 3 months when I MIGHT purchase a ZKT 1500 and we'll see if I feel the same.But you would have hated a friend of mine...

    Guy was really good. Went by Fred (not his actual name, but how he got it is a LOONG story). Anyway, he gets the hairbrained idea that he should get, of all things, an LA Horn (yeah, same as the sax company, only brass) WHITE trumpet. Had gold brass trim. Good Lord our band director hated him for that. He said that that trumpet would suck to no end. I played it, thought the valves were sluggish, and that the tone was crappy. Then Fred picked it up. He made that horn come alive. He not only beat an All-State player on a Strad, he humiliated her. There was no competition. I don't know how he did it, but that horn had one of the prettiest tones I have ever heard when he played it. The moral- there is a different horn for everyone.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

  8. #28
    Forte User MUSICandCHARACTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by bigaggietrumpet
    Anyway, he gets the hairbrained idea that he should get, of all things, an LA Horn (yeah, same as the sax company, only brass) WHITE trumpet. Had gold brass trim. Good Lord our band director hated him for that. He said that that trumpet would suck to no end. I played it, thought the valves were sluggish, and that the tone was crappy. Then Fred picked it up. He made that horn come alive. He not only beat an All-State player on a Strad, he humiliated her. There was no competition. I don't know how he did it, but that horn had one of the prettiest tones I have ever heard when he played it. The moral- there is a different horn for everyone.
    LA Horn is a fun(ny) company. They import horns made by Weril in Brazil. They avoid some import fees by "assembling" them in the US (in Texas, not LA) by putting custom finishes on the horns.

    Weril actually makes some pretty good horns. They are usually very solid. The valves and slides (on the bones) have had some trouble, but they have seemed to worked those problems out. Wild, exotic finishes. Anyway, they are solid horns, unlike those awful tin sounding horns that are often hoisted on beginners. They feel stuffy to some, but if you have the air, those horns will project and sing.

    Weril is also imported by DEG. Their euphonium is considered on of the best values today (great sound, reasonable price). BTW, I don't think LA Sax is making brass instruments anymore -- sticking to saxophones which they do quite well. So, to get this back on topic, if you really want a Weril horn, you have to buy from DEG.

    M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

  9. #29
    Pianissimo User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa (Midwest)
    Posts
    166
    I apologize for the way I look at trumpets. I was looking at Bach strads last night on E-Bay and there was an Omega for $800.00. There may be even strads for that price on that site.

    So, I will be looking at professional trumpets from now on :)

  10. #30
    Forte User MUSICandCHARACTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by mheffernen5
    I apologize for the way I look at trumpets. I was looking at Bach strads last night on E-Bay and there was an Omega for $800.00. There may be even strads for that price on that site.

    So, I will be looking at professional trumpets from now on :)

    Confused .....

    What are you apologizing for? You started this thread with a real question. Like all forums, it took a passing turn. Threads do that. We try to stay on topic, but we are human and take funny turns. We are supposed to be answering YOUR question. I don't think you need to apologize.

    M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26