Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Suggestions On Good Reasonable Trumpets in the General forums; Originally Posted by mheffernen5 Hi, I am a junior in high school. I am trying to find out more about ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Re: Suggestions On Good Reasonable Trumpets

Quote Originally Posted by mheffernen5
    Hi, I am a junior in high school. I am trying to find out more about some reasonable priced yet good trumpets. I am trying to keep it under $1,500.00. Any suggestions? Does anyone know anything about the Yamaha Allegro?
    Back to the original thread, the Jupiter Tribune XOs are excellent pro horns and a price point well within your budget. I like the reverse leadpipe setup with the medium or fast-flare bell a bunch.

I've played around six and they've been very consistant, with good tone and intonation.

Your price point includes tons of great horns, including Bach Strad, Conn Vintage One, Yamaha Xeno, various Kanstuls, the Stomvi USA, etc., etc. If you shop around you'll find those horns generally from $1300 to $1650.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Mezzo Piano User
    Schilke '60 B1

Pianissimo User
    Go for a Strad even if it is a used one. I have a couple reasons for saying this some more biased than others.
    1) I have tried many, many, many brands of horns and Bach has always come out on top (for Bb's anyway).
    2) You can get a used Strad for a great price, I paid $700 for my first.
    3) Whatever you pay for a used Strad as long as you take care of it if you ever want to sell it you should get the same back out of it.
    4) A Strad is a standard, accepted pro horn all over the world so even if you get one and 3 years from now you want another horn that's great but for the time being you'll have a solid pro horn that will be acceptable in every forum.
    5) I love my Strads, you may not like them but it will give you a solid horn and a chance to check out all of the other horns offered in todays market without hindering your ability to play at your best.

Pianissimo User
    Thanks a billion! As someone earlier said, I guess I am just confused. At least I had a great trumpet lesson yesterday...good enough to look at Bach strads...

Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by mheffernen5
    I apologize for the way I look at trumpets. I was looking at Bach strads last night on E-Bay and there was an Omega for $800.00. There may be even strads for that price on that site.

So, I will be looking at professional trumpets from now on :)
    dont apologize for the way you see things, just know that you will be given alot of advice, some good and some bad... and it can be hard to know the differnce.

i would say check out this link instead of going the ebay route.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/used_inst...0Bb%20Trumpets

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Definitely go to that link. Dillon Music has tons of horns, and can definitely help you find something that will not only fit you now, but help you develop into a better player.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

mheffernen5,

1) About eBay:
    I'd be very careful about buying anything on eBay, its easy to get ripped off. If you are going to buy a horn on eBay then I'd stick with the horns that have reputations for high quality.

Used pro horns that are well respected but not too expensive include:

Bach Strads made in mid 70's or earlier
    Benge 3X made before 1970
    Getzen Eterna 900 (original design, not sure of years)
    Kanstul (newer may be better)
    Olds made before 1970
    Schilke (any age)
    Yamaha made after 1990

Also, consider the Zeus G. Its essentially a very good Strad design made by Kanstul. I really like mine. At this price (around $1000) it is hard to find a better horn than Zeus, but it is easy to find an abused or poorly assembled Bach.

2) About trumpet lessons
    A great idea. In a town the size of Cedar Rapids there should be some decent pro-level trumpet instructors, trumpet players not directors.

3) About brand loyalty:
    Forget about it. Just because most people play Bachs and Yamahas doesn't mean that you have to. Be willing to try a bunch of horns and willing to change horns when you "grow" out of one and into another.

An interesting thing about Bach, Benge, and many other brands, they built their reputation when they were small, custom made horns that only top pros bought directly from the builder and the older horns are considered to be worth more and play better because of this fact. When a horn builder is bought out by a large company, as was Bach, Benge, King and so on, the contruction often suffers to increase production.

Tom Turner can give you more info on this than just about anyone.

4) About Intermediate horns - why bother, save your money and get a pro level horn.

Hope this helps,

Greg
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Mezzo Piano User
    Greg, Schilke was afflicted with the Yamalloy episode just like Yamaha. The Schilke Loyalist tells which vintages are problematic. With that in mind, the earliest Yamaha are excellent and include many horns prior to the 80s.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

Dave,

Sorry, my mistake. What years did Yamaha/Schilke have the valve issues? Also, does anyone know what years that Getzen left the "Classic" Eterna design and when they went back to it?
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Mezzo Piano User
    No, I'm busy at work or else I'd look it up. Anyone interested can find it on The Schilke Loyalist site.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information