Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Suggestions On Good Reasonable Trumpets in the General forums; I believe that the "Yamalloy" valve problems were associated with serial numbers 20,XXX through 30,XXX. If you take a look ...
    Fortissimo User
    I believe that the "Yamalloy" valve problems were associated with serial numbers 20,XXX through 30,XXX. If you take a look on the historical sales through Ebay (Jim also has a listing on his Loyalist website), you'll find that that particular s/n range consistently resells for $300 to $500 less than the "non-Yamalloy" numbers.

Jim has also shown that there is a technique for "fixing up" that particular problem and "HappyCanuck" maintains that he has had NO problems at all with his Schilke that fit within that range. Having said that, those horns were made using Yamaha parts "here and there" so if you want a "true" Schilke that was entirely made "by the family" you'll be wanting to avoid that sequence.

Pianissimo User
    I must say something. I have a Holton now. Do I want another one? No. That's why I want either a Bach or Yamaha. And I would have to ship a Zeus from Indiana or Texas or even Canada.

Mezzo Piano User
    Well, you can't really go too far wrong with a Bach or a Yamaha. They're fine horns.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Quote Originally Posted by mheffernen5
    I must say something. I have a Holton now. Do I want another one? No. That's why I want either a Bach or Yamaha. And I would have to ship a Zeus from Indiana or Texas or even Canada.
    If you buy one anywhere but a local store you will have to have it shipped! Shipping is $20 to $35 usually. Some eBayers will make it free for "Buy it Now" prices. Some stores ship them for free too (WWBW for example). ZeuS will ship one for free if you pay by money order.

Don't let shipping deter you! Get the horn you want. I sell ZeuS so I am a bit biased, but I am a big believer in good horns. Yamaha generally has a very consistent core sound. Most Bachs are very solid. Benge 3X or even a used Schilke is an outstanding choice. Step up and buy a good horn. If you don't buy it locally, make sure it can be returned if you don't like it (read those eBay ads!).

Shipping is a minor cost and should not keep you from getting a good horn.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

mheffernen5,

Why bother to ask for suggestions if you are just going to buy a Bach or Yamaha anyway?
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Mezzo Piano User
    There's a lot to choose from at Bach and Yamaha.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

Pianissimo User
    Quote Originally Posted by gzent
    mheffernen5,

Why bother to ask for suggestions if you are just going to buy a Bach or Yamaha anyway?
    [color=orange]It never hurts to see other possibilites. For a while I thought I wanted a Zeus. What stopped me is not even shipping. It was the fact I knew nothing about them. I wish I just knew more about Jupiter...it's quality not cost that can make a person mad later.

mheffernen5,

I'm not going to try to convince you that you are making a mistake by not considering a Zeus.

You can believe this, however, there are a lot of really knowledgable trumpet people that made this site possible and willingly share their experience here for free. By trumpet people I mean people who have a borderline obsession with playing, testing, collecting, critiquing, optimizing and creating really fine trumpets, not your average band director, for example.

Take a look around this site, compare it to any other trumpet web site and then ask yourself "If Zeus was not a respected brand would it merit its own dedicated forum on trumpetmaster.com?".

Greg
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Mezzo Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by mheffernen5
    I wish I just knew more about Jupiter...it's quality not cost that can make a person mad later.
    Talk to the people at Airsteam Music, particularly Dave Leonnig. He'll make sure you're happy with a Jupiter, including after-sale support, even if it's long distance. Besides Jupiter, Airstream carries Stomvi and Marchincovitz. The Stomvi USA is a fine horn in line with Bach 37 and Yamaha 8335 price range.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1

Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by gzent
    mheffernen5,

I'm not going to try to convince you that you are making a mistake by not considering a Zeus.

You can believe this, however, there are a lot of really knowledgable trumpet people that made this site possible and willingly share their experience here for free. By trumpet people I mean people who have a borderline obsession with playing, testing, collecting, critiquing, optimizing and creating really fine trumpets, not your average band director, for example.

Take a look around this site, compare it to any other trumpet web site and then ask yourself "If Zeus was not a respected brand would it merit its own dedicated forum on trumpetmaster.com?".

Greg

it isnt zeus that is respected it is kanstul..or did i miss something here.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information