Trumpet Discussion Discuss switching from bach 3c in the General forums; Just wondering if anyone switched from the old reliable Bach 3c to another mouthpiece, and what kind of success you ...
    Piano User

switching from bach 3c

Just wondering if anyone switched from the old reliable Bach 3c to another mouthpiece, and what kind of success you might have had. Also what kind of music you might be playing. Thank you, and happy new year to all my trumpetmaster friends.
    Getzen Eterna Doc Severinsen Model
    Bach 3C

Heart of Dixie

Re: switching from bach 3c

I've played an old Bach 3C for at least 20 years now. I switched to a 1-1/2C exactly 1 year ago, but have realized the 3C fits most of my playing better - less tiring to play and I project better with it. I've pretty much decided to stick with the 3C for most trumpet playing and use the 1-1/2C if I'm playing something more "symphonic".
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

I switched 4 years ago from a 7C (smaller than a 3C) to a 1 1/4C (WAY TOO BIG for me) then to a Giardinell 5S (.655). I liked the brilliance it gave me since I was/am playing in a contemporary Christian praise and worship setting and needed to cut through the band/choir at times. For me it has been very successful (and comfortable). I came to the 5S based on research I had done on the web. Here's one of the more helpful links.

New Page 1

I highly advise you to do extensive research before making a switch and if you have a teacher, consult with them also if that's what you're thinking of doing. Happy New Year to you too!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

New Friend

I just switched from a 3C to a Bobby Shew Jazz Mouthpiece. It was an improvement for me, except the lowest F# and G don't sound that great, but that's ok. It softened by sound and improved it in the mid range. It didn't really help me hit higher notes, but it didn't diminish it either. All in all I play much better on it. It's like going from a Sedan to a Sportscar.

Mezzo Piano User
    Marcellus, NY

This is a common thread. I switched from a Bach 3C to a Monette B6 about 5 or six years ago. I played a 3C for almost 40 years, playing everything from piccolo trumpet to big band on it and was quite happy. The Monette B6 fit perfectly and just made playing easier and fun. Hard to describe!

The Wide Brown Land

I too switched from a Bach (Benge) 3C to a Monette B6 a while ago - bought one cheaply on eBay.

The Monette B6 fits well with my Getzen Eterna 900 Classic, so well that I have (in the last 12 months) had Jason Harrelson provide a B6 modified to his SWE specs to match the Bravura he built for me - a nice combination.

So, what was the difference - the B6 just seems more ... stable ... than the 3C, maybe a little more focussed perhaps. Yes, hard to describe! Oh, and I have gone back to silverplate, from gold, on the SWE too.

Don't make waste with haste though - do your homework, I did and I took some expert advice as well. The B6 is an expensive piece of kit if it doesn't work for you, and it may not for some months - like any change, you will need to adjust a bit.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

For those thinking of switching from a 3C, do contemplate a Schilke 14. Inexpensive and it sounds and plays nicely. Sold mine to a bandmate who was surprised how well it worked.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Pianissimo User

I notice that you didnt mention what kind of horn your playing or what MP you are switching to.
    With that said I use a Bach 1/2 half C on a Bach 72/43 Lightweight.
    I can play any medium I choose to play in.
    I DO use other horns and MPs but this is what i play on 90% of the time.
    A Bach 3C can do well in any style in case your wondering.

Prescott, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by songbook View Post
    Just wondering if anyone switched from the old reliable Bach 3c to another mouthpiece
    I guess the obvious question is, why do you want/need to switch?? As the old saying goes . . . "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."
    Steve Bolander

Schilke B2, Benge Burbank 3X trumpet, Benge LA 3X flugel, Olds Mendez (long) cornet, Olds LA Super (1944), Getzen Picollo

Piano User

Switching mouthpieces is a fine thing to do...if there is a good reason.

How will the change improve your playing? Is there a particular problem you will be able to correct with a different mouthpiece? Will there be an improvement in tone?

A 3C is a good overall, "middle of the road" mouthpiece with average characteristics that will provide good tone. In terms of size, it is big enough, but not too big; small enough, but not too small. Deep enough, but not too deep; shallow enough, but not too shallow. Standard backbore and throat. Reasonable rim design for many players.

I played a Bach 1 1/4C for many years. Eventually, I came to find it was too large to control properly. I found the tone to be big and expansive, but needed to constantly think about and work on focusing and centering the tone. I also found the tone to be somewhat lacking in higher overtones, which I prefer in trumpet tone. I found myself developing some counterproductive playing habits related to an inefficient embouchure, which I felt were due to the large mouthpiece diameter.

With the help of a "coach", I switched to a 3C. It seemed to help with all the above mentioned issues - for me. Initially, the switch from bigger to smaller was a little difficult and there was an adjustment and acclimation period, but I made the adjustment, and it has been beneficial in all ways. At the same time, I also developed a more efficient embouchure formation, which helped greatly in the transition.

So, I say to you...try some other mouthpieces - if you posses the knowledge about what different kinds of mouthpieces will do in terms of playing characteristics, if you have identified how your playing will be improved by using a different mouthpiece, and if you can determine which one will be of the most help in your playing progress and development. In other words, how to match the design characteristics of the mouthpiece with your particular physical make-up, and how those characteristics will improve your playing.

Otherwise, you may be in for an expensive, and eventually futile journey to nowhere - and quite possibly back to where you started.
    Last edited by DaveH; 12-30-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Thread Information