Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Switching between 2 trumpets in the General forums; Hi all! I have music class at school and do not want to bring my new Kanstul CCT 900! Is ...
    New Friend

Switching between 2 trumpets

Hi all!

I have music class at school and do not want to bring my new Kanstul CCT 900! Is it ok if i use my King 601 trumpet during class and use my Kanstul at band practises and performances? What are your experiences? I will be using the same mouthpiece so that is not a problem! Thanks!

New Friend
    yes it is ok. most trumpeters switch between horns on a whim. i've done the whole "play 1 trumpet at school and 1 trumpet at home" bit for 3 years now. I also play a different trumpet for marching band/pep band and concert band/other stuff. I've had no problems switching between horns. The only problem i can see is that the kanstul may be so much more enjoyable to play that you start using it anyway.

I switch between two completly different horns every day. I have never had a problem, except It does take a little bit of concentration to do immidieatly like play the callet and then pick up the bach right then because I tend to pverplay the bach in that situation unless I think smaller. But I almost never switch back and forth in that short a time period so basically I think its fine.
    Bach strad 180s ML 37 melk 525, mk sterling semi round slide
    Curry 60m
    blessing anniversary flugel curry 3fl
    Al's Music Shop
    Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments.

Pianissimo User
    I think it is ok as long as you know that they will both play different. I use a TR200 for marching band because I don't want to take any chances with either of my goldplated strads (I would be heartbroken if one was dropped, like another players was last year.). However the TR200 is much stuffier and I have to really think about being relaxed and blowing through or it screws up my blowing. If I really feel the stuffiness and sit on it and try to compensate (which I sometimes do, in order to get higher notes out especially), then it take me a couple of days to get my blowing and chops back in order and that is not a good thing, especially if you have a gig the next day. Yeah it's ok but be smart about it.

New Friend
    Ok i guess my viewpoint is going to be a little different.

I had a band director back in high school that had a real good ear.She could tell when something just wasn't right in the horn line.

There was a couple of us guys that had Bach strads that didn't like to bring them to practice.We worried they might get scratched or dented.Well anyways we practiced and practiced for weeks on our student horns during band camp and weekly practices and when it came time to perform or first show of the year the director just about came unglued up in the stands.

When the show was over she came running down to the field and wanted to know why our tone was so different and out of balance.When she found out a couple of us were using different horns she gave us a ultimatum.Pick one horn or the other.That was it.

Bottom line is this.Your part of a band.When you change your sound it throws off the whole sound of your group.If your doing solo work or stage stuff its a entirely different matter.

Pick a horn and stick with it.

I've always been a one-horn kind of a guy. For me, I got to a point where I just "knew" my horn and because of that, I didn't have to think about what or how or why, I just thought music and for the most part it happened. That was at a point in my playing career when my chops, both mental and physical, were at their highest. By switching horns, (Bbs anyway) it automatically changed EVERYTHING. It changed slotting, pitch, timbre, resistance, etc. So much so that because my chops were so used to working toward maximum efficiency to resonate the one horn, as soon as I switched, it just felt wrong.

The only exception to that was switching to a different keyed trumpet in which case I expected everything to be different so I never really looked at it as a problem.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

New Friend
    Hmm, I didn't know very many highschools were good enough to have a "sound". I think most directors would be pleased if you can just play the notes and sound decent, especially on the field.... come on..

New York State USA

Re: Switching between 2 trumpets

I've got a bunch of stuff - F.E.Olds Eb alto horn, 2 cornets, a flugle, and 5 different trumpets -- I switch with no problems
    just takes getting used too --different sounds.
    but I have a favorite (King Silver Flair) so I play like 90% of my stuff on that -- that's all --- a favorite gets more time.

Mezzo Piano User

Switching isn't difficult at all. I normally used a different horn for marching/parades/jazz ensemble, etc. But then I realized how much I hated the horn I was using for marching, so now I just use my Strad and yell at clarinets who come within a five foot radius of my bell hahaha.
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

dubuque iowa

I think it is ok to switch as long as you feel you are giving your best effort on each one. When you play the instrument that you havent played in the practice sessions is it improving the overall performance? You owe it to the others in the group not to be a detriment to the performance for the sake of horn switching. The two horns you mentioned should not be so far apart in sound that it disrupts the others and causes a problem. Many players have a beater and a baby, its not unusual at all. The differences in playability between them shouldnt be overwhelming and easily compensated for. Best wishes.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information