Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Buck with a Bach
  • 1 Post By Clarkvinmazz
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Switching Mouthpieces: Jazz vs. Symphonic in the General forums; I've mostly been playing jazz for the last several years. However, in the near future, I may be asked to ...
    Pianissimo User
    Dallas, TX

Switching Mouthpieces: Jazz vs. Symphonic

I've mostly been playing jazz for the last several years. However, in the near future, I may be asked to do considerably more symphonic playing. My Al Cass 2-28 is a wonderful mouthpiece, but it is quite extreme. It just sounds too harsh when playing symphonic music, and the throat is too tight. Lower notes tend to come out sloppy. When I switch to my 3C, things sound how they should. But switching from the Al Cass, which is very small, to the 3C, which is quite a bit bigger in all regards, really messes with my chops. My intuition is that going with a mouthpiece that has the same rim diamter as the 2-28 (15.6mm) but a deeper cup and open throat will remedy this problem. Is this the way to do it? What do those of you who have to play both symphonic and jazz do? I don't want to switch to an "all-around mouthpiece" because I like the sound of the 2-28 in a jazz setting, and I've been playing it for many years.
    1949 Olds Recording Trumpet
    1949 Olds Recording Cornet
    Brasspire Unicorn Piccolo Trumpet
    ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn

Curry 10TC
    Curry 10.5VC
    Al Cass 2-28
    Parduba 4.5 HJ
    Charlie Allen

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

Re: Switching Mouthpieces: Jazz vs. Symphonic

Check out the Marcinkewitz concert hall series of pieces. I play one, an 8S CH, they have a larger backbore, somewhat more mass, and are available in smaller rim diameters as well as the larger ones.Wedge mouthpieces are another one to check out as well
    limepickle likes this.
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Buffalo NY

I really like my wick mouthpiece for a symphonic setting, it's the American classic line and it's just great with a nice deep cup. I'm sure they make one with a small diameter rim, however 15.6 is really small so maybe a small increase in rim diameter would work for you. A bigger rim diameter is generally more accepted for orchestras.
    limepickle likes this.
    Lots of old horns...some Bachs, Some conns, A Getzen or two...
    The playing is in the player, not the horn. Find the sound in yourself first.

Requests like this crack me up! Like the interface between the face and horn can be blindly recommended.........

There is no "symphonic" or "jazz" mouthpiece. Wynton uses a Monette B2 for "jazz", I use it for symphonic. It is coincidence, not planned. No one can predict what works with our face, our horns or in a specific setting. When I play Bach I use a different mouthpiece than whan I play Wagner.

The problem with bigger mouthpieces is rescuing the sound concept. When our ears don't get the sound that they expect, the brain tries to adjust. That makes switching difficult without proper preparation.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information