Trumpet Discussion Discuss Syllables? in the General forums; What's the importance? In the Arbans method it talks about using the syllable tu. Claude Gordon also commented on that ...
    New Friend

What's the importance? In the Arbans method it talks about using the syllable tu. Claude Gordon also commented on that saying tee is a better syllable, and that tu tends to "pull the sound down and make it dull". I've always been told you should never want an "eeee" sound. It should always be round and full, think "OH". I'm also starting to notice that syllables have to do with more than just sound. It seems when I use "toh" it draws the corners of the mouth more down and inwards. "Ta" seems to pull the corners further outwards and down, kind of like a "bulldog" facial expression. While "tee" seems to hold the corners more firmly in place. Any thoughts on this?

Re: Syllables?

it is hard enough getting the T part right. I find too many players pound the hell out of the "T" part making what comes after inconsequential.

What is significant is that your breathing be so solid that the "T" is only required to separate the tones. The "u", "e" or "a" are visualizations. Most symphonic players prefer the U and lead players E. The rest of us are happy when we simply sound good.

If you inhale and then exhale through the horn without an attack, your sound should be solid. If not, you have some work to do. Once your exhaled sound is clean and full, what comes after the T is inconsequential, unless your name is Tiger Woods......................
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Syllables?

When we are playing well, we really don't notice the syllables.

My theory is that the importance of syllables is more a teacher thing than a player thing. If a student has problems with high notes, I suggest more "eee." If they sound like a buzz saw, I suggest "oh." If a student is playing well we talk about music.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information