Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tacet in the General forums; When I was in school, we were "issued" things to start the year (Military prep school) so a favorite initiation ...
    Sunny Ca.

Re: Tacet

When I was in school, we were "issued" things to start the year (Military prep school) so a favorite initiation foisted on the few new guys by the (former vaudeville band leader) band director was to ask one of the new students if, along with his uniforms and other supplies, he had received his "tacet"...., after some squirming, most would confess they had not. They were sent immediately down to the ( on campus ) store to badger the hapless manager about where his tacet was, why didn't he get his etc.

Every year the store guy would get the same event in his shop, every year he would get madder, every year we would all get a good chuckle......
    Sturmbill likes this.
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Um, Tacet "slightly large space" second time only means only play the second time. This is common. You really have to take it in the context of the piece. It can mean both things depending on the situation and size of the space between the words. What piece are you talking about?
    Rowuk, come on, man, you're making me smile. Where on earth do the words "tacet" and "second time only" appear next to each other (regardless of a space) where it means play on the second time. If that were the case any arranger worth his salt would write it - "first time tacet, second time play", or maybe "tacet first time only". I would just as likely write it 1stX tacet, 2ndX play.

Regarding the word "tacet" itself, there's an anecdote that Louis Armstrong tells about him being taken to task by a band leader for taking a solo in an inappropriate place. Seems Pops read, "tacit" as "take it", (old parlance for take an improvised solo).
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Pianissimo User
    Rochdale UK

All...many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Vienna, Austria, Europe

alant, did you know the medieval meaning of your nickname? It means an alert hound...

Huh. I've been mis-reading this as "take it", and playing it as a sort of sectional solo.

I really gotta learn to look this stuff up.
    ~'77 DEG Dynasty II Soprano Bugle in G
    '13 Chinese POS "Hawk" branded Flugel from Amazon
    '59 Olds Ambassador Cornet
    '51 Olds Super
    '69 Olds Studio
    '40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information