Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Taps in the General forums; Originally Posted by oldlou Because it IS a bugle call, the proper term is to state, 'SOUND TAPS', not play ...
    Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Re: Taps

Quote Originally Posted by oldlou View Post
    Because it IS a bugle call, the proper term is to state, 'SOUND TAPS', not play taps. If the trumpeter is requested to 'play' a hymn in addition, then, he/she plays that hymn.

I am sorry if I preach about propriety. I am a retired USMC Lt. Colonel. It is drilled into me to be precise, Sorry.

Lou, we just find out more about you!

Semper Fi and THANK YOU for your service!
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Los Gatos, CA

Thanx, Ed!

I'm thinking to go for the G sound, although Laura may have other ideas. I just want to do it in a respectful manner. The fallen deserve as good as they gave.

New Friend
    Atlanta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by cloudnine View Post
    I, too, get lumps in my throat every time I hear a triad and its first inversion.
    Maybe it's just me being stupid.... but isn't it the second inversion?
    Bach 180S37
    Yamaha Xeno YTR-8445

Pianissimo User

has anyone ever done it as a duet with an echo?
    Honk if you love Jesus...text while driving if you want to meet him!

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Our community band is playing a Memorial Day concert and one of the numbers is a full band version of Taps. The arrangement was done by a member of the band and it is very tastefully and appropriately done. As a Vietnam-era veteran of both the USMC and USAF who lost a brother there, I have profound respect for military protocol and the respect it provides for those who have served honorably. Taps is one of those signs of respect. I also offer thanks to all of the TM members who have served or who serve today. Liberty is a precious legacy and we can't forget the price that we must pay for it. I just hope my children and grandchildren can enjoy the benefits.

P.S. I played Taps for the first time at a military funeral when I was 14 (they couldn't find an official military bugler, I guess). Now my 12-year old grandson who just started playing trumpet this year has been assigned to be the official bugler at Scout camporees. He enjoys doing that.
    Last edited by ComeBackKid; 05-20-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Quote Originally Posted by guyclark View Post
    HI, Guys!

I'm bumping this thread because of the impending Memorial Day.

As it happens my wife and I were requested to play "echo taps" for the services this year at Golden Gate National Cemetery, and so I thought I'd better do some research into how it really goes (for example, the straight eighths in the third and fourth bars-- I've always played that wrong in the past! ).

I'm also not sure if it's more appropriate to play it in concert Bb or in G.

I'm open to suggestions!

If you are playing with a Bb trumpet or cornet, it's possible to play it in concert G ... but it still won't sound like a bugle.

At Arlington National Cemetery Tap is now sounded in Bb. For reference see as is Jari V. former USAF sounder of Taps at ANC. On that site too is the music. Such requires no valve depression on the Bb instrument.

Ed Lee

New Friend

Greetings all

Thanks for the plug to my site

Please check TAPS 150: Commemorating 150 Years of America's Most Famous Bugle Call which was set up to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Taps

If you are looking for some versions of Taps here are a few:

Listen to Music | TAPS 150

Plus check out the video gallery:

Video Gallery | TAPS 150

As for sounding Taps inside a church:

[ame=""]YouTube - Taps at the Memorial Chapel at Fort Myer, VA[/ame]

Thanks again-Good luck and best wishes to those who are honoring our veterans this Memorial Day.

Jari Villanueva

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan View Post Origin of 'Taps'

Here is the Snopes article.
    I wouldn't think much of snopes.
    The Arlington National Cemetery has the true story as mentioned previously.
    Jari Villanueva has the best web site.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Quote Originally Posted by Markie View Post
    Hi trumpetman41,

In addition to learning where the sound seems to "sound the best" I make sure the people can not see me when I play (I've stood behind trees, in valleys, behind knolls,etc.). I prefer that the sound and not the visible appearance of someone playing the sound to be the major effect.
    Basically, No one sees me and if I get it right, it will be hard for anybody to tell where the sound is coming from due to the echoes. All the mourners know is, that it's there.
    The Military Specification for funerals requires you to stand next to the honor guard and in sight of the funeral party. You are to play directly at the funeral party. You don't have to play loud. The instrument is to be a b flat trumpet or bugle. (I saw a Navy bugler one hand a trumpet like a bugle. Left hand hold. )

I attended a funeral at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery last year and the bugler was not GI. He used a C trumpet and stood about 100 yards away. He could barely be heard.
    Last edited by stchasking; 05-20-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTx View Post
    Yes, that's a very good link on performing taps properly. I'm surprised how often you hear it performed improperly, especially in the movies. So much so that I suspect people that play it only "by ear" do it wrong at more than a few funerals. By "wrong", I'm primarily referring to the use of straight eighth notes instead of dotted 8th/16ths as referred to in that pdf file.

The Marines dot the eighth notes to delineate the burial from other branches of the service. I think the Pacific War started this tradition but I can't find anything definitive. The history is allusive.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information