Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Taps Attire? in the General forums; I read an article, probably from the above web site, about an army uniform that civilians wear when performing with ...

Re: Taps Attire?

I read an article, probably from the above web site, about an army uniform that civilians wear when performing with color guards and bands. It had no insignia or rank or only a bandsman braid. If anybody knows of the web site this would be a good time to post.

If you search the web enough you'll find the correct formation, where to stand, etc when performing for military funerals. I found two sets of instructions. One was for the VFW and one for the American Legion. That might be worth locating.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

Cresson, TX

If you're an honorably-discharged veteran and still have your dress uniform, that is always appropriate. If you're not a veteran (or your old uniform has shrunk while hanging in the closet - ugh!), wear a suit and tie. Check out the Bugles Across America (Bugles Across America : Home) website. This is a frequent topic for discussion on their message board. Oh, and while you're there, why not sign up? It's free and a great way to give back some of the talent you've been blessed with and a way to show appreciation for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice in the service of a grateful nation.
    Burleson, TX

Schilke X3L Bb w/both light and heavy bells
    Schilke S22C
    Besson MEHA long model Bb/A piccolo
    Couesnon Flugelhorn
    Yamaha Xeno 8335 cornet
    Bach Model 304 D/Eb
    . . . and a lot of other toys

Good to see the concern involved in attire for such a solemn occasion. As an Army trumpeter of 14 years, I do have some strong opinions on the subject, developed over many hundreds of funerals. To the poster without a tie, you really need to wear one--a coat too. If this event isn't enough to warrant dressing up I don't know what is. As to wearing a uniform if you haven't served, I would put forth that a respectable suit of any color is a much better choice. Veterans and retirees can be pretty rough about who wears the uniform and who doesn't.

As a side, I was stationed at the testing grounds for the digital bugle when in developement. While an improvement over a stereo system, it is still far from fitting. Thank you to all who participate in Bugles Across America and otherwise for honoring our fallen heroes. Active duty trumpeters do feel remorse for not be capable of honoring each and every one and very much appreciate everyone who helps the cause. We were literally killing ourselves trying to cover them all before Congress decided it was too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information