Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss TAPS Funeral Honours - FAKE Bugle in the General forums; Originally Posted by guitarsrmine Is it proper to play Taps on a trumpet? I did last Memorial Day, but I ...

Re: TAPS Funeral Honours - FAKE Bugle

Quote Originally Posted by guitarsrmine View Post
    Is it proper to play Taps on a trumpet? I did last Memorial Day, but I wondered if bugle was the preferred horn?
    Everybody in the Army band I was in used their everyday Bb trumpets. If you want to be authentic, finger 1&2 and play it in G (concert), just like a regulation bugle.

New Friend
    Thermalands, California

I am a veteran and trying to play the trumpet again. I will be joining Bugles Across America and finding a local mentor for the proper playing of taps. My understanding is that you join and then simply turn down requests to play until you are ready or until you can find the time to aid in honoring the vet who is need of your service. It is that simple. If you donít sign up and get requests, you can not aid the vet when you have the time.

Pianissimo User
    San Gabriel, CA

Thanks for the info Jari!

Quote Originally Posted by tapsbugler View Post
    Echo Taps is not authorized by the US Army for funerals. I think it's OK for Memorial and Veterans Day services but really is out of place at funerals (IMHO)
    How about the other military branches? Is Echo Taps authorized for those funerals?
    "First Trumpets. Don't add notes above what's written!"
    --Former Cal Band Director Bob Briggs, rehearsing the final chord of Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by brassplayer View Post
    Do you play "Echo Taps" for funerals? I remember reading somewhere that "Echo Taps" was not appropriate for funerals.
    Seniors from my school have been playing Echo Taps for the American Legion for years. That's what they request us to play, and we play it.

Echo Taps is not authorized by the US Army for funerals. I think it's OK for Memorial and Veterans Day services but really is out of place at funerals (IMHO) It's quite amusing to watch a bugler do echo taps by himself-first playing then turning 180 degrees and playing again
    Besides, if you have 2 buglers at a funeral, somewhere some veteran is going without..
    As I said before, that is just what they request. They literally tell me "There will be a funeral at 11:45 at southside cemetery on the 14th, can you play echo taps for him?" Seniors from my school have been playing for the American Legion for almost 15 years now, and that is how it's always done. If it isn't "authorized" perhaps you should take it up with them.
    Last edited by Jurandr; 12-05-2009 at 02:28 PM.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Jurandr View Post
    Seniors from my school have been playing for the American Legion for almost 15 years now, and that is how it's always done. If it isn't "authorized" perhaps you should take it up with them.
    I'm not the US Army or representing them-I'm only relaying what the Army has in their regs about sounding Taps at funerals. Silver Taps and Echo Taps are not played by the US Army (at least in their regs). What other groups choose to do is up to them.

The Air Force, in it's AFI, also says Taps is to be performed by a solo bugler, open without accompaniment or echo. I'm not sure about the Marines or Navy but figure it's the same.

I am only saying that the accepted military way to sound Taps is by a solo bugler or trumpeter-the way they do it at Arlington National Cemetery every day. Echo is not allowed and the digital is never used there since they have the resources of the DC military bands whose mission includes supporting ceremonies at ANC.

I think it's wonderful that students are stepping up sound Taps at veteran funerals. This used to be done by American Legion Drum and Bugle Corps members but those Corps have long disbanded....

The Wide Brown Land

Quote Originally Posted by Darrien View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find military guidelines for performing the Last Post as is sounded in the Commonwealth instead of the American Taps?
    Darrien, I have included a previous post of mine that deals with the issue of The Last Post in Australia and probably gives you some clues about how the rest of the Commonwealth also honours the fallen, I hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tedh1951 View Post

I have accessed the Australian War Memorial website for this question and their interpretation on the Last Post, the One Minute Silence, and finally the Rouse and Reveille is interpreted in the Australian context. I know it is a bit wordy but .......

In military tradition, the Last Post is the bugle call that signifies the end of the day's activities. It is also sounded at military funerals and commemorative services such as ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day to indicate that the soldier has gone to his final rest.

The Last Post is one of a number of bugle calls in military tradition that mark the phases of the day. While Reveille signaled the start of a soldier's day, the Last Post signaled its end. The call is believed originally to have been part of a more elaborate routine, known in the British Army as "tattoo", that had its origins in the 17th century. In the evening, a duty officer had to do the rounds of his unit's position, checking that the sentry posts were manned and rounding up the off-duty soldiers and packing them off to their beds or billets. He would be accompanied by one or more musicians. The first post was sounded when the duty officer started his rounds and, as the party proceeded from post to post, a drum was played. The drum beats told off-duty soldiers it was time to rest; if the soldiers were billeted in a town, the beats told them it was time to quit the pubs. "Tattoo" is a derivation of doe den tap toe, Dutch for "turn off the taps", a call which is said to have followed the drum beats in Dutch pubs while British armies were campaigning through Holland and Flanders in the 1690s. (The American practice of "taps" or "drum taps" also originated from the routine.) Another bugle call was sounded when the party completed its rounds, reaching the "last post" Ė this signaled the night sentries were alert at their posts and gave one last warning to any soldiers still at large to retire for the evening.

The Last Post was eventually incorporated into funeral and memorial services as a final farewell, and symbolises the duty of the dead is over and they can rest in peace.

Silence for one or two minutes is included in the ANZAC Day ceremony as a sign of respect and a time for reflection. The idea for the two-minutes silence is said to have originated with Edward George Honey, a Melbourne journalist and First World War veteran who was living in London in 1919. He wrote a letter to the London Evening News in which he appealed for five-minutes silence, to honour the sacrifice of those who had died during the war. In October 1919 Sir Percy Fitzpatrick, a South African, suggested a period of silence on Armistice Day in all the countries of the empire. Fitzpatrick's idea had its origins in a period of silence that was observed at noon in Cape Town following heavy losses among the South African Brigade on the Western Front; this observance continued until the end of the war. Fitzpatrick's idea was presented to King George V, who readily agreed to the proposal. But after a trial with the Grenadier guards at Buckingham Palace, at which both Honey and Fitzpatrick were present, the period of silence was shortened to two minutes. The connection between Honey and Fitzpatrick, and their ideas, if any existed at all, is unclear. On 6 November 1919 the King sent a special message to the people of the Commonwealth:
    I believe that my people in every part of the Empire fervently wish to perpetuate the memory of that Great Deliverance, and of those who laid down their lives to achieve it.
    The King continued to ask that "a complete suspension of all our normal activities" be observed for two minutes at "the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" so that "in perfect stillness the thoughts of everyone may be concentrated on reverent remembrance of the Glorious Dead". Two-minutes silence was first observed in Australia on the first anniversary of the armistice and continues to be observed on Remembrance Day. The two-minutes silence has over the years been incorporated into ANZAC Day and other commemorative ceremonies. (This is now generally accepted and practiced as one minute of silence.)

However, after the one minute silence, flags are raised from half mast to the masthead as the Rouse is sounded. Today it is associated with the Last Post at all military funerals, and at services of dedication and remembrance.

Since Roman times, bugles or horns had been used as signals to command soldiers on the battlefield and to regulate soldiers' days in barracks. The Reveille was a bright, cheerful call to rouse soldiers from their slumber, ready for duty; the call has also been adopted to conclude funeral services and remembrance services. It symbolises an awakening in a better world for the dead and "rouses" the living, their respects paid to the memory of their comrades, back to duty. The Rouse is a shorter bugle call, which, as its name suggests, was also used to call soldiers to their duties. Due to its much shorter length, the Rouse is most commonly used in conjunction with the Last Post at remembrance services. The exception is the Dawn Service, when the Reveille is played.

For your interest you might like to try

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

The very worst usage of the Taps melody I have ever witnessed was last July 4 celebration at the end of the parade at Ferrysburg, Mi.. At the RAISING of the American flag during the ceremony commemorating the birth of our nation, the local V.F.W. honor guard used a digital bugle to 'play' Taps. In the mind of many in our local community concert band seated at the base of that flagpole that was a travesty. I have never heard of Taps being sounded at the ' raising' of the flag, and to sit within 10' of the 'bugler' who didn't even try to breath in synchrony with that recording made it even more of a joke. I consider 'Butterfields Lullaby' ( Taps ), to be held in reverence, not used in such a fashion as to make it a virtual joke. Taps should only be sounded concurrant with the LOWERING of our national flag, or at a military funeral.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Cincinnati, OH

I recently went to a cousin's funeral and they had the fake bugle and no one knew it was fake except for me. They could have asked me to play, but I guess that's all arranged by the military.
    Greg Glassmeyer

Norfolk, VA

Quote Originally Posted by gglassmeyer View Post
    I recently went to a cousin's funeral and they had the fake bugle and no one knew it was fake except for me. They could have asked me to play, but I guess that's all arranged by the military.
    Actually, it's arranged by the family's request form, but they easily could have had you step in. Lots of people just don't understand what their options are, especially when they are grieving. I've actually gone to play for funerals where the family requested a live bugler, and then had the deceased's grandson play. It's a waste of our time and rescources to do that, but it's very easy to just not take the fake thing out of it's case. Next time offer your services to the family ahead of time - they might just be too overwhelmed to think of it at the time, and may be very greatful you offered.
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335LA (Navy horn)
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Heart of Dixie

I wonder if those who "play" an electronic bugle use a fresh set of batteries every time? It would be terrible if it lost power halfway through Taps. In the defense of the electronic bugle, I've heard a few renditions of Taps that would have been better played on one. One stands out in my memory, as the poor guy started on the wrong note (too high) and never got on track. Try it sometime in private and see what I mean...
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information