Trumpet Discussion Discuss Teaching job help in the General forums; I am not a full time player or teacher. Things are very slow at my "day job" so I applied ...
    Monroe Ct.

Teaching job help

I am not a full time player or teacher. Things are very slow at my "day job" so I applied for a job teaching at the local music store.

The store is really a music school that also sells instruments. What I mean is, the school is big and well known and the store is fairly small.

I got the job!

I received a pack of information in the mail with a note from the owner that said, "here are a few papers for you to sign".
    Most of it was basic hand book stuff.

Here is the reason for the post:
    There is a contract that was written by an attorney that is protecting the school from everything. It is very open ended in their favor. Here are a few things that concern me.

If I leave my job and solicit or talk to my students I have to pay 1,200.00 per student to the school. If I tell any business secrets that they deem hurting the school they have the right to sue me and I have to pay for their attorney. The contract is filled with this kind of wording.

Is this type of thing standard in the industry? If I were going for a job in my "Day time industry" I wouldn't sign it. I teach trumpet one day a week after work. It seems a little excessive to me.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Re: Teaching job help

First, IANAL, but a "No Compete" clause is often in contracts, I don't think that is unusual.

They want to make sure you don't take students with you when or if you leave the store.

They also don't want you telling people how they do business or taking their secrets to another music store.

A good lawyer will always make a contract that protects the interests of his client.

Not unusual at all. They have probably been burned in the past and don't want it to happen again.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Indianapolis, Indiana

Like Solar Bell stated above, it is most likely a standard contract with a "none compete" clause. However, always have your attorney read it just in case. On the flip side of the coin, try to negoiate a proposition with the music store. See if they will take you on as an Independent Contractor and make an agreement that any students that are presently enrolled at their studio you would not take away if you leave. But state that any students that you solicite on your own due to your reputation you maintain the right to keep.

Looking at your website you have a very impressive background and should be able to get at teaching position. You mentioned that you are presently teaching one night a week. Can you expand that? This is what I am presently doing as I am considering retirement soon (or was until my 401K crashed) and now teaching M-W and Saturday mornings. There are a lot of options. If you would like we could communicate via personal email and exchange ideas and network.

Good luck. By the way, nice website.
    Indianapolis, Indiana

"It is not necessary to understand music;
    it is only necessary that one enjoy it"
    Leopold Stanislaw Stokowski

Greensboro, NC

Have you considered working out of your own studio at home? This is what I do.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Thread Information