Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By trumpetsplus
  • 1 Post By Vulgano Brother
  • 1 Post By Ed Lee
  • 1 Post By Darten
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Teaching Tips in the General forums; Hey everyone, I have a couple of former students that want to start teaching trumpet lessons, and they have asked ...
    New Friend
    Dallas, TX

Teaching Tips

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of former students that want to start teaching trumpet lessons, and they have asked me for some advice. They want to know what to focus on when they first start teaching. There are obviously a thousand things that can be covered, but they really wanted to boil it down to the basics. I wanted to reach out to all of you and get your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Michael Attaway
    Providence Brass

Check out our latest blog post: How to build trust on the job and what not to do...

South Salem, NY

Re: Teaching Tips

When I start a beginner they leave their first lesson playing a song (normally When the Saints). My advice is always "concentrate on the music, not the chops".
    Comeback likes this.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Armando Ghitalla suggested not letting the beginning student to mess around with the instrument, bur rather introduce the instrument at the first lesson. In this first lesson the teacher would place the mouthpiece on the student's lips. Sort of like imprinting, but Ghitalla believed muscle memory starts the very first time.
    trumpetsplus likes this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New York State USA

first find "students" who genuinely WANT TO PLAY the trumpet --- find the students who WANT TO LEARN ---- find the students who WANT AN APPRECIATION FOR MUSIC ------ you know Michael, for me it started when I was like 7 or 8, when I heard "76 trombones" and the trumpet part, --I knew I wanted to play trumpet. Back then it was Doc Severinsen that I was really exposed to (also a little Al Hirt, and Herb Alpert) --- but I KNEW the trumpet was going to be part of me, it wasn't until 5th grade (11 or 12) when the public school had "free" lessons that I got the chance to learn the trumpet!!!

so that might not help --- but I think your former students will have already the EDGE, cause if they are teaching trumpet lessons, they must first have students who WANT lessons.
    give them the fundamental notes -- sure, but I agree with the above --- give the students, a few lessons, where there is MUSIC, and FUN, and something they can somewhat easily achieve ---- and then "just keep building from there" -- fundamentals, scales, technical stuff -- yeah ------- but songs, duets, music, -- your former students have to TEACH to the student they have, teach to what inspires their students!!!!
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Fortissimo User
    East Yorkshire

It's a little thing but to me impotant especially with a few situations that I have seen recently. Match the instrument to the player carefully, that includes the individual's choice (and often the parents wishes) I'm a little less of a martinet about giving small children a cornet because they can hold it more easily than I used to be. But I have seen three children who wanted to play trumpet or cornet, given, wait for it, French Horns. One of the kids was so small they could hardly hold it, the others didn't stick it because it wasn't really what they wanted so three children have been lost to brass playing because of "School Services "Verypathetic" teaching". They were given these instruments because that "was all that was left". That is not good enough. (I'm sorry this is turning into a rant but I hope it helps)
    Last edited by Cornyandy; 07-19-2013 at 04:09 AM.
    Andrew Sapcote

Yamaha 4335 GSII Trumpet
    Conn Victor Cornet
    Weltklang Rotary Trumpet
    DEG Signiture Cornet Silver Plate
    B and S Sonora Trumpet
    Besson Brevete Flugel Horn
    Monette Silver 6 Mouthpiece
    Gear For Music Basic Euphonium
    Saving up for a Flugel.

Forte User
    Fort Wayne, IN

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetsplus View Post
    When I start a beginner they leave their first lesson playing a song (normally When the Saints). My advice is always "concentrate on the music, not the chops".
    I like this, Ivan, and recommend this approach to the OP too! When a youngster, or anyone for that matter, expresses interest in music-making the quicker they can begin doing so the better IMO. A simple recognizable melody provides a fine means of gently coaching beginner fundamentals as well.
    Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, Leblanc 707 Sonic (Metzler Brass restoration)
    Bach Model 180SL229W30 Stradivarius C Trumpet
    Holton Collegiate Bb Cornet (heirloom)
    Blessing Artist Bb Flugelhorn

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

I'll go so far as to say that IMO if any student trumpeter in grades 5 through high school that wants a Double High C, s/he won't be given the opportunity to learn such from me. Likewise, altissimo extemporaneous improvisation, the latter which I'm not qualified to accomplish myself. IMO, no composer has written music for a normal Bb trumpet to play a double high C ... maybe a piccolo trumpet.
    Last edited by Ed Lee; 07-19-2013 at 07:28 AM.
    trumpetsplus likes this.

New York City

One bit of avdice is not what to teach them, but something for You.... assume that however long it took you to learn something, your students will take twice as long.... Once I accepted this, if my students hit a slow spot in their learning curve, it didn't drive me nuts.
    kingtrumpet likes this.
    It's the player, Not the horn that makes music.

Thread Information