Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Technique for Practicing Quietly in the General forums; Originally Posted by kingtrumpet .... I suppose people will ask -- why do you play trumpet if you can't hear ...

Re: Technique for Practicing Quietly

Quote Originally Posted by kingtrumpet View Post
    .... I suppose people will ask -- why do you play trumpet if you can't hear it that well
    (because I am a trumpet player -- that is what I like to do) --- and with some practice to feel the buzz (and work with my tuning meter), it seems that I can feel a good tone -- even if I can't always hear it.
    the sound, the applause, the feel of the buzz of the lips, the breathing, the low notes, the high notes --- I AM A TRUMPET PLAYER --- WHAT COULD BE BETTER THAN THAT????
    Nothing is better than being a trumpet player.

And, like an upright bass, the trumpet gives vibrational feedback as well as audio feedback. This doesn't occur much (or at all) with voice or guitar. It's nice for a change to be able to feel your intonation, not just hear it.

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

rick sez:
    Most of the time, there is a double buzz going on and some cracked notes.
    Hi Rick,
    As you know this is a blogsite and that means the best we can do is give advice for you to determine if it is worthy.
    With that said give this a try. Its free:
    Read Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment to see if you have any of these symptoms.
    Watch Urban Agnas's videos on "Flow"
    In addition, here's something to try for your soft note practice.
    When you play soft start out like this:
    Put the trumpet up to your lips and blow very softly. So soft in fact that no note comes out. Then slowly start doing what you need to do to get the lips to vibrate ever so slightly.
    This is VERY HARD TO DO! and in the beginning you'll blat out the notes. The trick is to gradually change the air sound to trumpet sound.
    You'll know you're doing it correctly since the notes that come out sound and feel more like very quiet overtones.
    Good luck

New York State USA

Quote Originally Posted by ska View Post
    Then again I didn t fully grasp the gravity if your hearing problem - maybe the covering of the ear won't amplify the sound for you, or maybe the haring aid won't work for you.

Also an another idea - perhaps your ears must be flushed, that usually helps the problem unless it's not about your ear, but the part of the brain that regulates your hearing.
    thanks for the tips - actually my hearing loss is the range above 3KHz (can't hear high pitch, violins and birds)-- that is a function of heredity, and cumulative noise over the years (guns, factories, tractors, etc.) without ear protection --- so always wear hearing protection for motorsports, lawnmowing, target practice, etc --- especially if your young, cause you won't realize the damage until middle age --- when it is too late - so hearing aids only amplify the sound -- they can't replace actual lost hearing. (so I can function with peoples voices, and hear more or less monotone trumpet notes. I have been tested for about 10 yrs, and have been able to NOT loose anymore hearing by using hearing protection.
    that said -- that is only the quantitative hearing -- the quality of hearing in one ear is more like that of playing the trumpet into a plastic bucket.
    perhaps in the future --10 or 15 years -- a cochlear implant will suffice.

anyways -- if you get nothing out of this, except one thing --- PLEASE USE HEARING PROTECTION FOR NOISES ABOVE NORMAL SPEAKING VOLUME ---

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information