Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tell us the story of your trumpet disaster. in the General forums; WOW I just thought of one (not mine though) My friend is a trombone player in Toronto and had both ...
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    WOW I just thought of one (not mine though)

My friend is a trombone player in Toronto and had both his bass trombone and tenor in the trunk of a cab. When he got to his destination he got out of the cab and went to the trunk expecting the cabbie to go open it up for him but instead the cab driver took off!!! It took a couple days of him calling the cab company and getting the drivers name a liscence #. When the company found out, they checked the cab and they were still in there. The driver went to meet my friend to give them back. The man had the gaul to ask for $100 from my friend to get them back. (After he already bought a thank you card and put $20 in it for him).

So my advice is to keep your belongings with you in the cab or wait until the driver gets out and opens up the trunk for you before you get out.
    He is now the bass trombone player for Victoria Symphony Orchestra (Congratualtions Scott!!!)

Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

New Friend
    San Diego, CA

worst trumpet diasters

Humbly, I submit this: 1991, St. Thomas U.S.V.I., playing with a local band on some bar somewhere on the island. Took my lightweight silver strad and put in a leather gig bag. Put it on the floor next to my bar stool and then stepped on it an hour later after too many drinks and some really strong local smoke. Now it is back and actually looks good. It is still my #1 horn and has an island flavor now.
    1974 silver Bach Strad 180LT with the #72bell
    1978 silver Star Couesnon flugelhorn.
    Monette Prana B1-1LDS1 XLT trumpet, Denis Wick 2F flugel mouthpieces.

charlotte nc
    Okay...something to do....

Same horn....3 times...

1) 3 horn players...sax player w/soprano-alto-tenor-bari-flute, 2 tpts both with flugel & valve bone. All in a row across the front of the stage. Late 70's/early 80's club scene...on a break, dancers hit the tenor...all horns did the domino into the dance floor...and got danced on. That was nice.

2) Forward about 5 yrs....another nightclub...drunk knocks over an elevated monitor...kinked shut the bell. Nice...thanks bud...

3) Forward about 10 + years... Playing lead with Linda Rondstadt... tpt and bones on a riser. Big stairs provided for riser...tight space..I (yes..I)..knocked tpt which proceeded to kareen off the riser onto the floor below. Nice, moron. Luckily..only minor dings..this was pre-down beat...scary moment. (Rondstadt...not the horn...hahaha)... Did the show..

For a ltwt has hung in there... I don't think I need that cryogenic thing to take the stress out. This horn is laid back now .... (or scared into submission....

Quote Originally Posted by someone
    My floors had been mopped. I was walking in socks, and carrying my trumpet. I slipped. Luckily, my trumpet caught my fall. My bell is now a semi-circle, and I need to get it repaired.

But on a positive side, I thing I might have broke my elbow had the trumpet not slowed me down. I have a giant gash on it currently that hurts a lot.
    This has got to be one of the funniest things I have read here in a while - not that your horn got crushed, but that you say "luckily" the horn broke your fall.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Pianissimo User
    Manchester, UK
    My own bell mash story is really none existant. It was fine as I carried to the stage from the rehearsal room, I held it up to play and the Bell was folded in half! dunno how it happened!!

Much better one happened to my friend he stood out front in a big band gig to play solo, and a light fitting dropped from the ceiling and ripped his bell clean off!!
    Adrian - An Online Home For Brass Musicians

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    Good thing that light fixture didn't fall about 2 feet back from the bell or it might have ripped his head off!

A colleague of mine earned himself the nickname 'crusher' after he recounted his trumpet disaster story to us. He was in the habit of placing his horn on his lap during rests and tacet numbers in shows and occupying himself with a crossword or book. One day he leant forward to put his paper on the floor and found that his ever-so-slightly-beer-enhanced physique had flattened his bell and caused all the valves to jam.

Another player I know, who is with the RPO, once arrived at work on his motorbike and discovered that his triple trumpet bag and all its contents were no longer attatched to the back but had come off somewhere along his 20 mile journey.

My own tale goes back to the time when aged 7, playing in the junior band at a Salvation Army service I sat down on and squashed my recently aquired Bossey Imperial long model cornet, frosted silver plate with bright accents and 1st and 3rd valve triggers, and promptly burts into tears.

All the best. Noel.

New Friend
    Omaha, NE
    I have 2: During marching band season my senior year of high school, I was carrying my beater horn across the band room and some how lost my grip on the old girl. She fell to the ground, her bell hitting at an angle. She made the most beautiful "boing" sound and richocheted (in slow motion, I might add) into the air where I caught her with one hand. I left the crease in the bell 'cuz I thought it added some edge to the sound.

The 2nd happened in college. I was home for the weekend. After a practice session in the basement, my pooch (he liked sing along) and I headed upstairs. The doorbell rang as I hit the 3rd step, and Binkie (the pooch) tried to rush past me. Feet tangled, fur flew, and Lloyd, my Bach 43*, took the full force of my 225 lbs. on his bell. Fortunately, Binkie and I were unscathed.

Pianissimo User
    Manchester UK
    I have 2 stories, the first one I have still not got over. In 1979 I was playing in a soul/funk band and earning good money. i upgraded from a yamaha student model to an Olds Clark Terry Custom. This was a beautiful sounding responsive horn. Within a few weeks it was written off at a gig in a nightclub when a fight erupted on the dance floor because someone made a pass at the drummers wife and the drummer (confirmed psycho loony) launched himself out of his drums scattering everything - some of which fell onto my Olds. I got the bell sorted out but the valves were never the same so I exchanged it for a Bach Strad. I'm still looking for an Olds Custom...

Fast forward to 1998 and I was rehearsing with a horn section in a garage. the alto sax player was regaling us with some of his exploits in Cuba - mostly involving women (in large numbers). I was holding the horn with one finger around the crook and somewhere along the line, no doubt carried along by the story, the horn slipped out of my grip and hit the concrete floor. The bell needed some serious work after that.
    "I was minding my own business when something says to me, "you ought to blow trumpet." I have just been trying ever since." - Miles Davis

Eclipse LR/Warburton 3MD
    Olds Custom/Warburton 3M
    Eclipse Red Flugel/Bach 1 1/2C
    B&H "78" cornet/ DW2B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information