Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss tension tension tension in the General forums; So as i'm sure this thread exists many times over, i will bring it up again in hopes someone can ...
    New Friend

tension tension tension

So as i'm sure this thread exists many times over, i will bring it up again in hopes someone can find a way to drill it into my head.

In high school i always had a very bad tension problem (neck, shoulders, face, anything else you can imagine,) and its been a long process, as most things with the trumpet are. My low and mid range are in a spot where tension doesn't really exist but anywhere after f-g on the top of the staff it's so inconsistent its hard to have the will to play any lit. well.

I notice in my basic work that i can warm up, (thompsons buzzing book) and feel great, and really i feel pretty loose all day. But as soon as I get out the ol' SCHLOSSBERG out i feel myself get tighter and tighter. I'd like to punch lip slurs in the face.

(also, i do have a private teacher, i just think multiple ideas never hurt)

This is my first post here, so as jumpy as this thread just turned out, any tips on tension?!?!?!

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Re: tension tension tension

The best cure for tension that I know of is to constantly practice anything that causes tension in my playing. The more I work it the better it becomes and thusly less tension. However, there are some things that I must work every day in order to keep them going smoothly and with as little tension as possible.

why does the tension creep in at an f or g? Do you feel these notes are "high"? A lot of tension problems with students I've encountered either mental or they do not have a correct (fundamentally sound) concept of what is happening physically. Something I would try is to sing those passages in a nice relaxed fashion, then mpc buzz, then throw on the horn, see if that does anything for you. Always try to imagine yourself relaxed with plenty of extra air in your system. A sencond line g is the same as a top space g, the only difference being the vibrations of the lips are twice the speed. Lol, Easily said huh?
    The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
    -C. S. Lewis

Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die. -Tom Clancy

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    -Revelation 8:6

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Why are you nervious??? If you are holding tension it is due to fear of something? Only you know what you are afraid of. Get rid of the fear and the fear responce will go away it always does. Fears are not rational yet we all have some. Adress the fear and everything else will fall into place.

The Wide Brown Land

Quote Originally Posted by estarnes View Post
    ....., any tips on tension?!?!?!

Have a wander through the Monette website under mouthpieces - there is some very good advice there - but you will have to sift.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Piano User

I sent you a PM.

Pete Grimaldi

Chesapeake, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    A lot of tension problems with students I've encountered either mental or they do not have a correct (fundamentally sound) concept of what is happening physically.

Yep, Bear has got it!!

OP, From your post it sounds like you are causing tension because you allow the negative thoughts you have for Schlossberg, lip-slurs and top line F's dictate your feelings, and in turn your physical state, before you play them. Next time you are warming up with your buzzing book, pay attention to your thought process and how you feel. Then imitate that when you play the other stuff. I'm sure you have hear this a thousand times, but there just isn't much other way to say it, RELAX!! Clear your head of any other thoughts and just play the music, if you mess it up, no biggie, try again. I was working with a student a couple of years ago that couldn't play Clarke studies to save his life. I photo-copied a page out of the clarke book and mixed it into the rest of his practice music.... when he got to that page during his next lesson, he played it fine.... made it through at least.... and he didn't have a clue he was playing Clarke!! Remember the trumpet is only 10% physical... the other 90% is mental.
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~A. Einstein

Check out my boy Mark Ingraham...

Levittown , NY

Deep breathing exercises will help you relax the tension you feel , be it playing the horn or taking a big test or attending a big board meeting, deep breathing always helps, trumpet is a wind instrument, if you breath correctly there is no limit to what you can accomplish.

a glass of plain tap water (no ice). If you notice yourself getting tense, take a sip.
    Always exhale fully before taking a breath.
    Do a search here on "Circle of Breath". There I cover the basics of a relaxed approach.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

If you're tensing at a certain point (f-g) while entering the upper register it's likely that you're simply not breathing correctly, or supporting the breath correctly. I recommend some sluuring and octave exercises for this.

Play the note one octave below your first trouble note (f?). Play a long tone and check that you are relaxing and 'riding' the air stream with plenty of support. Now slur up the octave (no break or breath) and attempt to play and maintain the upper note with the same relaxed posture as the lower one.

Start with moving your base-octave note up a 4th in half steps for each exercise. Rest plenty between each exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information