Trumpet Discussion Discuss is there a reason for this? in the General forums; Hey Manny, I have been playing a Monette C2 mouthpiece for over a year now and I have been loving ...
    Pianissimo User
    St. Paul, MN

is there a reason for this?

Hey Manny,

I have been playing a Monette C2 mouthpiece for over a year now and I have been loving it. I just switched to a C2S3 and I like that even more, however, playing on Monette mouthpieces has cut back on my endurance and I'm wondering if it is because I just don't know how to play on it yet or what. Maybe you can remember what it felt like after you switched from Bach to Monette. I'm playing on a Bacj 1 and 1/2 and I'm able to get through the day much easier but the edge is back. Any thoughts?

"99% is the same as 0%. If you don't feel like giving 100% or can't give 100%, then you might as well stay home." -Will Smith/added to by Jeremy Tarter

Utimate User

My only thought is that you must be pushing it hard OR it may not be quite the right size for you. It may be you need a bit more grip to keep your lips from straying away from the "sweet spot" as it were.

My other thought is an old one but a good one. That is, keep those corners in and forward. I was thinking about your problem and I picked up the piccolo to play the first movement of the Telemann. I haven't played picc since i don't know when but I sailed through that first movement because I made an active effort to keep those corners forward every second of that movement. Like saying "Tooh".

Good luck,

I have a (very cheap)pocket trumpet that works great with the standard B2D Monette mouthpiece, but is really hard to play with the Prana version. The sound and intonation are great but I get tired much more quickly. This is only true for me with this one instrument. The Prana on my rotary B-Flat was like pulling the cork out. Much easier, more fluid, more color - as advertised.
    What C-trumpet do you play?
    I think not every mouthpiece is right for every horn. Did you ask Dean Comley or Dave Monette about this? They would for sure have some insight. Maybe your trumpet just needs some adjustment (valve alignment for instance).
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information