Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Is there a Trumpet magazine/periodical?? in the General forums; There are 20 different guitar player magazines on the newsstand. There's Keyboard Player. There's Bass Player. There are 3 or ...

Question Is there a Trumpet magazine/periodical??

There are 20 different guitar player magazines on the newsstand. There's Keyboard Player. There's Bass Player. There are 3 or 4 magazines for drummers. There are magazines for songwriters and live performers. And, a half dozen recording and electronic musician magazines.

So, is there a magazine dedicated to trumpet players . . . . or at least brass and woodwind players??
    Steve Bolander

Benge 5X trumpet & 3X flugel, Bach Strad, Mendez cornet, a herd of Ambassadors and a flock of other fun horns.

Bugles Across America

Re: Is there a Trumpet magazine/periodical??

ITG Journal is very well respected. I believe there is also a periodicle out of the UK called Brass Player. Not sure on that one though, so check out trumpetguild.org.

Good luck

The Brass Herald is another good one also from the UK
    Olds Ambassador(only one left, need more)
    King Silver Flair - main horn
    Selmer Cornet

Amatuers practice till they get it right, Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong.

There's a magazine called Windplayer that comes out 3-4 times a year. has some nice articles on trumpet players
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    There are 20 different guitar player magazines on the newsstand.
    And you would think that with all those resources they could learn to read music instead of tabs! HAHA. Just kidding.

Besides those already mentioned, try contacting the Brass Historical Society. Google 'em. A A lot of times they will put out pamphlets, letters, magazines, etc that are trumpet specific/related.
    The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
    -C. S. Lewis

Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die. -Tom Clancy

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    -Revelation 8:6

I forgot about BHS> great info on historical music and instruments. There's also the AMIS. The American Musicial Instrument Society.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

Forte User

Hi Steve, markie here,
    A magazine I get that covers all sorts of instruments (including trumpet) is Jazz Improv. It's got tons of learning in each magazine and it also comes with a CD and sometimes 2 CD's. Well worth the cost.

Banned Mezzo Piano User

You know why their are so many Guitar, Keyboard and Drumming magazines but so few trumpet magazines???? First those instrument are not over run with Eliteist's out of all the brasswind instruments the Trmpet is most highly coveted by the Eliteist's!! Second unlike this board most of those other instruments mentioned fully endorse a person's ability to teach themselfs to play and even encourage people to teach themselfs at first! In fact in case you have not noticed it yet their are a huge group of what I call Eliteist that make up this board and many other trumpet boards the worst are the Euro-Eliteist!!! This is where the idea of everythingmust be done by an expert and no one is bright enough to teach themselfs comes from. It is not just this board either their are other boards just as bad. Please keep in mind that no matter where you are from I am not in any way against any one from Eurepoe it is simply a title which exhists that I did not make up. You can be a "Euro- Elitest andbe from Kansas or any place else it is a mind set. This is why their is such a huge lack of interest in a publication like some of the really good ones out of the UK!! In fact many of the periodicaly I read come fromthe UK I like how they speak their mind and do not candie coat things! Most articles would meet the strict Censorship of this site. On top of that I am sure the local Ex-Pert's on here would chew any magazine editor that did not subribe to their views a new rear end!

Those of us that would want such a magizine do not have much voice we are the plane jane folks that work 6-6 in a factory or in an office building and just come home and play along with our favorite Jazz records or DVD's as it is in most places today. The trumpet has always been stuck with a lot of aragont and stuck up people unfortunately it has always been a part of the trumpet world but many of us missed it because we did not live in large cities.

It just happens that I know a lot of Guitarist I have a cousin that Graduated Juliard(sp) and one that went to Guitar Institute of America(?). I started playing Guitar at 4 or 5 years old. I had a teacher but many do not start with one. The two realitives above where either self taught until around H.S. when they chose to take instruction or they where taught by their Dad until H.S. when they started to take and pay for leason's. I am a come back player I playd in a band for 8 years before stoping. Even when I mention re-teaching myself the so called ex-pert's on this board try to talk smack me down for even attempting to teach myself or re-teach myself! In fact every thing I decide to try from re-learning the trumpet with out ex-pert assisntance to doing my own repairs is always smacked down as not possable for the "Do it Your Self'er" this is the very attitude that kills the trumpet's popularity. This is why almost no one teach's themselfs to play it but instead chose the Guitar,Keyboard or Drums becasue their social network is pro-teach yourself. Everyone on this board I suspect was in band in school and was taught by a music teacher or had private leasons.

For the record so far I have found many other people that do their own trumpet repairs and are not acredited repair technicians. In spite of this fact they manage to turn out some nice trumpet's. They however tend to keep their mouth shut about it or they do not sk opinions they just do it and write about it later. This prevents the in house expert's that are too afraid to try anything themselfs from commenting on how you can not do it.

I am just glad their are so many good working class people on this board that are good people. Nothing worse then someone that is and "ex-pert" and quick to tell someone else somethign can not be done when they have not done it themself's or even tried due to fear!

Then their is the hole music genere thing..... What music is mostly played on trumpet? Classical,Jazz,Big Band,Swing,Ragtime and march's. Not exactly what one hears on the radio. The Guitar, Keyboard and Drum's can easily play everything the trumpet is used for plus a lot of modern music. Do not get me wrong I think every Rock,Pop,Contry or Folk band should have at least 1 trumpet,Barritone, and Tuba in them but I am not going to hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dover View Post
    ITG Journal is very well respected. I believe there is also a periodicle out of the UK called Brass Player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wlfgng View Post
    The Brass Herald is another good one also from the UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    There's a magazine called Windplayer that comes out 3-4 times a year. has some nice articles on trumpet players
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Besides those already mentioned, try contacting the Brass Historical Society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markie View Post
    A magazine I get that covers all sorts of instruments (including trumpet) is Jazz Improv.

Thanks, guys. Great sources to start checking out.

Obviously, printed periodicals depend upon advertising as their primary source of revenue . . . especially since the expense of layout, printing and distribution is enormous.

However, with all the recent "on-line magazines" that have been emerging, I'm surprised no one has ventured into that particular medium.

Seeing the numbers of members amongst the half dozen or more trumpet-dedicated forums that currently exist, you'd think there would be a market (and interest) for such a monthly or bi-monthly on-line publication.
    Steve Bolander

Benge 5X trumpet & 3X flugel, Bach Strad, Mendez cornet, a herd of Ambassadors and a flock of other fun horns.

Bugles Across America

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Seeing the numbers of members amongst the half dozen or more trumpet-dedicated forums that currently exist, you'd think there would be a market (and interest) for such a monthly or bi-monthly on-line publication.
    Well, it seems to me that there actually aren't as many dedicated trumpet players in the world as one might think. Every time I go to the pawn shop, I see at least 30 different guitars for sale. This tells me that many people want to play guitar, and many people attempt (but fail). Contrast this with the few beat up Bundys that you might find, and you can see the stark contrast in interest. Either no one wants to sell trumpets because they love them too much, or no one wants to sell them because they don't own them in the first place. Also, just look at our society today and you can see why guitar is so popular. It seems to me that guitar players are idolized by the masses, whereas a trumpet player with as much or more skill is not idolized, and is sometimes even completely overlooked.
    'My advice is to never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time.'
    - Charles Dickens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information