Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Thought on multiple weekend gigs for a newbie in the General forums; I play in a ten-twelve piece brass ensemble at one of our local 'mega churches' as an accompaniment for their ...
    Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Re: Thought on multiple weekend gigs for a newbie

I play in a ten-twelve piece brass ensemble at one of our local 'mega churches' as an accompaniment for their hymnsings. These are attended by 1,200-1,400 people, singing all of the verses of 12-14 'traditional' hymns. I am expected to play them all, but, I admit to faking it a bit, with my trumpet up to my lips, but, letting one of the other lead trumpeters carry things for a verse. This kind of playing is an absolute chop buster for a 73 year old guy, but, my fellow lead trumpeters are 76 & 62, so we aren't kids anymore. Another method for saving my chops is to switch to the alto line once in awhile. It does help.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Virginia Beach, VA

"Preach it" Robin..."PREACH IT"!!!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Ya can't fix stupid!!!

1958 Mt. Vernon, NY Bach 37 Bb
    1973 Elkhart, IN Bach "72" Bb (It started life as a 37)
    1982 Elkhart, IN Bach 37 Bb
    1989 R. Lawler C1L
    Selmer Paris Bb/A Piccolo
    Jerome Callet Bb Flugel
    Slingerland F One-valve Bugel
    (Not 100% sure of the dates on these)
    1920 Conn Cornet (?)
    1925 King Trumpet (?)
    1947 Holton Collegiate Cornet (?)
    Conn Cavalier (Haven't found an accurate date yet)

Mezzo Forte User

I want to ask what is it that caused you to quit 9 years ago, and are you setting yourself up in this newness, for that path once again where you may quit a second time?

I don't want you to burn yourself out on this trumpet playing once more.

I played with a mega church and I decided I would play for seven years there, then decide if I was going to stay.( Meanwhile, I too got involved w/ a second church.)Well, things beyond my control changed, and I lasted only three. Our music director (he was a genius) left and the "new guy" they hired handed us new copies from a vocal hymn book.

So ask yourself this, am I going to keep up this routine, three nights, and Sunday morning every week for seven years. Also, all good things come to an end; and with churches, it's never pretty
    Last edited by Bachstul; 02-25-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Piano User
    Wichita, KS

I quit before because I wasn't good enough to go on and play professionally. I was not able to fit college band into my schedule, and since I wasn't in a band and was busy with Engineering classes, got a serious girlfriend, etc, etc. the trumpet playing fell off my list of things to do. If I had been smarter back then I could have fit it in, and would have been a much better trumpet player as well. But I wasn't, so here I am.

I will probably always be doing SOMETHING in church (weather it's the one I belong to or another), but I realize that this current gig (or set of gigs) will not last forever. On that note, my plan is to use these church gigs as good experience (as well as have fun!) and when my skills develop to a certain point I will branch out into other non-church bands. :)
    Making a comeback after 9yrs, one step at a time!
    Wild Thing Bb, Benge Claude Gordon Bb, Yamaha 635ST flugel, Selmer 900 TT C trumpet (possibly for sale - PM me)

Rochester, MN

Same thing for me - getting married, a EE degree and having kids left no time (or money) for trumpet pursuits. I got serious about it around 2001.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by The Weez View Post
    ...My performances consist of playing with a praise band at church on Saturday nights. I have been struggling with endurance because we do a full rehearsal just prior to the gig....

I was recently asked to play in another praise band on Sunday mornings. They do a Wednesday rehearsal, then on Sunday morning do a quick run-through then two gigs (9:00 service and 10:30 service).

I initially told him that I was not ready; I'm still building my chops and three gigs in 16hrs would probably be pushing it. However, I said that I would attend some rehearsals in order to gauge the difficulty of the charts and decided if perhaps I CAN do it....

As another CB player, I'd say you're doing exactly the right thing--test the waters. I also think you will find that this additional playing will help, not hurt, your chops. You don't have to play everything through at ff during a rehearsal of either band. Also, I agree that there are "steps" you can take in church to minimize wear and tear. Alternating verses as has been said before. Offer to SING the verse, then PLAY the refrain. Take stuff down an octave once and awhile. Learn to read and transpose the bass clef for easier parts that sound great.

I would bet money that in 3 months, you are wondering why you ever doubted you could do it.

Whatever choice you make will be the right choice!
    Doug Walsdorf
    Schilke B2
    Kanstul 1525
    1927 Conn 22B New York Symphony
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

Indianapolis, Indiana

Playing the trumpet during a gig with your group is like running track. First you have to be in shape to go the distance. Practice and more practice. As a runner builds their legs and breathing, you have to build your embouchure and develop endurance. May I suggest getting the book: Embouchure Builder by Lowwll Little. The next thing that you have to do, once again like a distance runner, is pace yourself. Know when you can back off and let the group pick up the slack for a while. The other thing that you might consider, and this will take experimenting, is switch off with different mouthpieces during the event. If you are using a small sharp cup, switch down to a wider deeper cup for a while. This is something that you are going to have to play with to get the right combination correct.
    Indianapolis, Indiana

"It is not necessary to understand music;
    it is only necessary that one enjoy it"
    Leopold Stanislaw Stokowski

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information