Trumpet Discussion Discuss Thoughts on Claude Gordon's method? in the General forums; I recently discovered the Claude Gordon method books and have read "... Deep Breathing" and the beginning of "Systematic Approach...". ...
    New Friend

Thoughts on Claude Gordon's method?

I recently discovered the Claude Gordon method books and have read "... Deep Breathing" and the beginning of "Systematic Approach...". I've seen some improvements but often I feel tired (a problem I had before discovering it). Anyway Claude seems to be saying that one must follow his approach exactly and that it is the only way to go. What do people think about that method? What about others? I have the opportunity to get in touch with Claude Gordon students for lessons. Would that be worth it? What is there to be said about people who are great players who didn't use his particular method?

Trying to get as may opinions as possible!

Pianissimo User

Re: Thoughts on Claude Gordon's method?

Here's my impression as a rank amatuer: Claude Gordon seems to take primarily a physical approach to playing the trumpet and while he was a well known (and excellent) teacher, had a vastly different approach than other well know teachers. Some of the things he said simply make no sense to me (again, I'm an amatuer) so I have pursued the advice of others who come from a different school of thought, the school that teaches "the end result" is what is important (music, sound) and not necessarily a rigid set of mechanics.

I hope my thoughts have been helpful but then, you might get some opinions from experienced teachers here.

Mezzo Forte User
    Los Angeles

Re: Thoughts on Claude Gordon's method?

My brother studied with a Gordon man, in Claude's No. Calif. studio, and it was an approach that worked for him, and my brother was not a practic-a-holic. He did, though, do the exercises. It's a system that works for those who stick to it. Of course, so is Stamp and Adam and Caruso. Proven systems are worth getting married to.

Doc Severenson once said that 'I don't know why this Jimmy Stamp stuff works, but when you do as he prescribes, it just does.'

Here's what I think. These systems, Gordon's included, PREVENT you for doing things that don't matter, that don't work. If you veer off and play more than you rest, or attempt to cruise up to the upper register for your warm up, or tongue a dozen different ways, you won't get it.

Thread Information