Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Throat Tension in the General forums; Originally Posted by Billy B The part about throat surgery is interesting. I had a student a few years ago ...
    Mezzo Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy B
    The part about throat surgery is interesting. I had a student a few years ago who had severly infected tonsils removed. This actaully caused some some problems closing the epiglotis. .
    My tonsils have regrown twice after surgery. Then I had more radical surgery to prevent it ever happening again.

Now, if only I could train my fingers or legs to regrow....

New Friend
    Charlottetown, PEI

Re: Throat Tension

Gordon -

Have you tried cutting off an arm or leg? You never know...

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

BigWind, I see that this is your first post here so this is your official welcome to TrumpetMaster. Why not go to the 'Introductions and Greetings' section and post some information about yourself. That way we can all get to know you better. Be sure to visit often. There is a lot here that is useful.

BTW, at the upper left of each post (in the gold bar) is a date/time for each post. If you look at the posts in this thread, you will see that they are almost 5 years old. Most the ones that posted here rarely visit anymore. So, this became a resurrected zombie thread which I assume you found from some sort of search. It would be helpful to know what prompted your search that brought this up. If you start a new thread (use the 'Forum Tools' on the blue bar) you will likely have more feedback regarding your original concern.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Pianissimo User
    Coastal GA

I must be a much crappier player than even I realize. If I play a long tone, I can manipulate my throat all I want and it doesn't change my sound one bit, unless I go to the point of gagging. Likewise, I can play a long tone and move my tongue all over the place (even flip it upside down) and it makes no difference EXCEPT when I thrust my tongue so far forward that it is almost touching the back of both my upper and lower teeth, in which case it introduces an unacceptable "zzzzzzz" sound into the tone. When I ascend into the upper register, my tongue does not budge. If I make my tongue move or arch when I ascend, it makes no difference. I DO use my tongue to manipulate pitch when whistling or singing, but that's entirely different.
    Comeback Player

Yamaha Xeno 8335S Bb Trumpet
    Yamaha Chicago 9445CHS C Trumpet
    1983 Mercedes II Bb Trumpet
    Curry 3M, 3C.
    Bach 3C
    Yamaha 14C4, 14B4, 16C4-GP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information