Trumpet Discussion Discuss Tips for first lesson? in the General forums; Well, I finally found a local instructor (thanks acarcido!). My first lesson is next Wednesday and I would love some ...
    Pianissimo User

Question Tips for first lesson?

Well, I finally found a local instructor (thanks acarcido!). My first lesson is next Wednesday and I would love some advice on how to make the most of it- things to ask, what to look/look out for, etc.

I am a comeback player of about 3 months after a 40 yr. layoff. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Re: Tips for first lesson?

"Hi, I'm XXXX. How do we proceed?" That's your script. Then do what he/she tells you (if you can). I usually ask a new student to play whatever they want, as until I see and listen I don't have any idea where to begin. As you state, you have once played, I hope not to insult you by suggesting you play from the books you once played from when you began, but really back to basics helps undo a lot of the bad habits you may have adopted ... but then we might have to find a middle before I'd suggest study from Arban's.

Just relax and enjoy getting on track. The teacher may ask you play something that you have and see where you are at. Tell him/her what your goals are too. Most of all, give youself sometime.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Brother Bach probably gave you the best advice. Go in and be true to yourself, take their suggestions to heart, and do what you are told and asked to do.

Pianissimo User
    Redlands, CA

Pretty much what's been said. Go along for the ride! Just make sure you practice, practice, practice, just as your teacher instructs you to.

1953 Getzen 90 Deluxe
    1954 Getzen 90 Deluxe
    1967 Conn Victor 5A Short Cornet
    1974 Olds Superstar 2
    1978 Reynolds Medalist
    2010 Carol CTR-506 (L)

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

This is not so much about the first lesson as AFTER the first lesson. That is, don't have unrealistic expectations - depending on your level of playing before your "vacation", it may take two years or so before you start to approach it again. Just practice as much as you can and be prepared for the inevitable plateaus - and even some setbacks. But in the long term, progress will be made. Be sure to ask your instructor about proper breathing. That is one of the most important elements.

Just for reference, I also had a 40-year layoff and my range, triple-tonguing,and tone came back within a few months. After a year and a half of practice, I still don't have much endurance but the areas where I struggle the most is tone accuracy (I tend to overshoot on interval jumps), fingering (I still hit a lot of wrong notes), and reading fast runs (I can keep up easily on 8th notes but anything faster, I must study the run in advance and really memorize the fingering - I just can't read it and figure it out on the fly - especially the accidentals).

I hope this gives you some perspective on your progress as you move along.

Good luck.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Pianissimo User

Thanks all! You're making this way too easy- I've got to quit trying to complicate it. Believe me, you can't insult me by suggesting I play from beginning books but I don't really have any. I seem to have lost my favorite book (it had Take Five and Alley Cat in it- I loved playing those) but I do have a couple of books that I can play about a third of and my Arban's (only the easy stuff).

My experience seems to be close to CBK's- lost a lot of accuracy and endurance. My fingering is actually pretty good as long as there's not too many sharps or flats. Rhythm is very sloppy, but I'm cutting myself a lot of slack- I want to keep it fun, so I'm calling it "interpretation"! Having had a strict "play what's written" background, I'm trying now to play music more than notes. I know I still need to regain at least the ability to count accurately if I want to play with other people.

I'm really hot on having a really nice tone, don't plan on ever being a screamer or having the fastest tongue in the west, but I do want to learn to improvise. I'm already enjoying this so much it's all gravy from here. Actually, I'm sure I'd get bored if I didn't get better- or at least find some better music- it seems like everything in the store is either too easy or too hard!

Thanks for the replies!

Thread Information